Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HEEEEEELLLP I broke it
speedyxjs

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
HEEEEEELLLP I broke it

Again i went out to do some welding practice and something else has gone wrong
I brought some new .6mm wire from halfrauds and it keeps getting stuck as its being fed through but the bigger problem is that as i was trying to sort it out it got stuck in the bronze tip (the .6mm one)
Ok, i thought, il undo it. Cant its stuck. Use pliers and the tip has broke in half with half in my hand and the other half still in the tip
I tried making a slit in the top with my dremel so i could undo it with a screwdriver but no good.
Every time this week i have tried to do work on my car, something has gone drasticly wrong. Does anyone have any idea's as to how i can get the other half out???

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

02GF74

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've had that happen - the part where the steel wire melts inside the tip but I have always managed to get the tip to unscrew.

By pressing the torch for a split second will set off the wire feed so there should be no tension pulling on the tip.... but unfortunately you are passed that point.

Give it a try, cut a slot in the copper. maybe some heat and lube then try to unscrew.... but seems that you need to get a new torch, not what you want to hear.

speedyxjs

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I've had that happen - the part where the steel wire melts inside the tip but I have always managed to get the tip to unscrew.

By pressing the torch for a split second will set off the wire feed so there should be no tension pulling on the tip.... but unfortunately you are passed that point.

Give it a try, cut a slot in the copper. maybe some heat and lube then try to unscrew.... but seems that you need to get a new torch, not what you want to hear.

How much, where from and how easy to fit?

nick205

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
might be worth trying to carefully drill it out with a small drill.
speedyxjs

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldnt that damage the tread?

r1_pete

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Its only an M5 in hobby migs or M6 bigger machines, so re-tapping to clean its no problem. You dont need to buy a full torch though, just the neck, and they're only a few quid try searching on fleaBay for mig neck.
Rgds.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Minicooper@work

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to buy only the swan neck piece, cheaper than the whole torch if you can't get the remains of the tip out.

Take the bit with you as there any many different torches available

Sounds like it's been tightened to much, try screwing in by hand and a slight nip with pliers in future

Cheers
David

speedyxjs

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, feel much better now

Volvorsport

posted on 3/1/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
if you do buy a new lead , get a long one 3m allows a bit jiggery pokery , i think mine was only £19 .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

nitram38

posted on 3/1/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the tip is for 0.6mm. If it is a 0.8mm, you will always have the same problem.
I have never liked 0.6mm as it always seems to wind up on the drive wheels.
I always use 0.8mm.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/1/08 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would say weld something to the broken off bit............but you cant!!!
stevebubs

posted on 3/1/08 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Did that to a couple of necks when I was learning..

I now keep a set of tips and spare swan neck in the workshop drawer.

Avoneer

posted on 3/1/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - I always had problems with 0.6 so I always use 0.8.

You can buy new copper tips from Halfords, but they're for SIPS, but thread should be the same.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 3/1/08 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon-Performance-Eu
Maybe you should take up knitting instead

Have you ever had the feeling some higher power is sending you a subtle message

one thats say "dont build your own car"

Felt like that for the last couple of weeks

Peteff

posted on 3/1/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cut the wire inside the machine, take the gas shroud off and get hold of what's left of the tip with mole grips to get it out. Your wire is too slow if it's burning back to the tip. Get some more practise and don't get put off, not everybody is brilliant straight away, just put starting the chassis back a month while you learn a bit more than the basics and don't rush it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

t.j.

posted on 3/1/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Cut the wire inside the machine, take the gas shroud off and get hold of what's left of the tip with mole grips to get it out. Your wire is too slow if it's burning back to the tip. Get some more practise and don't get put off, not everybody is brilliant straight away, just put starting the chassis back a month while you learn a bit more than the basics and don't rush it.

I'm with Petef. Good advice.
Don't give up, everyone had to learn!

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

cossiebri

posted on 3/1/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
You can get spare tips/shrouds &wire from B&Q's of all places, I use them cos they're cheaper (and closer) than machine mart !

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

richard thomas

posted on 3/1/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What he said! Cut the wire at the rollers first, otherwise you are trying to spin that too when you unscrew the tip, if it is still fused together in what's left of the tip. ( if that makes sense?)

bonzoronnie

posted on 3/1/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
.6 wire !!

.6 welding wire should be fine provided the wire feed tension is set correctly.

I seldom use anything else. Prety essential on low power MIGs

I would be tempted to go to a proper welding suplier and buy a 5kg roll of wire.
Some of the small reels are a pain in the ass & tend to be of poor quality.

Ronnie

[Edited on 3/1/08 by bonzoronnie]

robinj66

posted on 3/1/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
You could also try these people
http://www.wwsgroup.co.uk/wws/pages/home/index.asp

JoelP

posted on 3/1/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
i prefer 0.8mm myself with the wirefeed slightly slower.

Whenever my wire melts onto the tip i rub it square on a file, after a few moments the wire is free and it springs a few mm out. Ive also managed to unscrew it before, though you have to twist the wire into the flex. Dont give up, whatever some miserable git says!

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/1/08 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
oh dear, I'd also recommend you try an 0.8mm wire, you will find it better behaved due to it's extra strength against buckling. Don't panic welders can be evil things sometimes, just don't give in, you should have seen my welding when I started

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

speedyxjs

posted on 4/1/08 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If i speed the wire up it spits and crackles. Doesnt sound like cooking bacon (how i was taught to tell the settings were ok).
Im not going to give up. I WILL beat the bugger

Peteff

posted on 4/1/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
You could be holding it too close or not moving fast enough as well. If it pushes back and spits it is too fast for the power setting. Get some 16g plate and practise runs on it pushing the gun away from you with one hand holding and one steadying the shroud. Keep the inside of the shroud clear of spatter as it will conduct from the tip if you touch it down.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.