Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel weights
cashy

posted on 4/7/08 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Wheel weights

Does anyone know what the weight difference is with compomotive cxr and standard minilites?

I think the cxr are lighter but really dont like th elook of them and want some Minilites!!!

Supplier of COBRA seats at discounted rates.

email evolution_uk@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Paul TigerB6

posted on 4/7/08 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
If you like Minilites and dont like CXR's then buy the Minilites i recon - and dont worry about the weight. Unless you are racing and need the ultimate in low weight then i doubt you'd ever notice the difference.

Paul

PS no idea what the weight difference is but what size are you looking at to help others?? 13"??

cashy

posted on 4/7/08 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
LOl yes would help/.....13 inch as std on fury becs and westys

I have been out of the kit car owenrship for about 4 years so am trying to get back into things!!!

any sudgestions where you get minilites at a good price these days? I am guessing 300 a set then theres 888's

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
TimC

posted on 4/7/08 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Got mine here:
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/alloyskn.html

Prices are delivered and inclusive of VAT. HAd to wait a little while but was worth it IMHO.

cashy

posted on 4/7/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
nice rims....

£300 >?

cashy

posted on 4/7/08 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Would Caterham 13 inch minators 5.5j fit a westy or fury?

indykid

posted on 4/7/08 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
if it's going to be minilite style, it'd have to be compomotive MLs for my money.

perhaps a bit more than £300 though

tom

bimbleuk

posted on 4/7/08 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
For a comparison my Superlites at 14x6.5 are just under 6 kgs. They do a lighter GTR version but only in Australia at the mo.

I don't think anyone makes Superlites over here anymore so those Minators are a good choice. I believe Mel at RAW Engineering has sold a few sets on customer cars.

Rallye_Mark

posted on 4/7/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'm selling a pair of 8 inch wide Compomotive ML which are the minilights, there is a picture of them in my archieve if you want to have a look. I'm sure you will be able to find some 7 inch ones for the fronts on eBay. Any more information send me a U2U.

Cheers Mark

cashy

posted on 7/7/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again,

So do westfields run 6 inch wide 13 inch rims on the front and back.?

Can you add wider wheels to the back without arch modifications?

TimC

posted on 7/7/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yes and yes.

If I were you, and I was in the same situation at one stage, I'd draw myself a little diagram with a wheel centre line and then calculate what offset gets the wheel to the same point on the external part of the arch. So, if you run say a ET18 6" rim and then compare it to a ET23 7" Rim, the difference will be such-and-such (I can't be arsed to do the maths and it's much easier to visualise on a piece of A4.

It's very useful - I still have mine somewhere!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/7/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
If you can afford it, go for the Compomotive ML split rims for the best of both worlds, sub 5kgs for 13" variants and they look really good with the seperate polished rim

[img][/img]

cashy

posted on 7/7/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
5kgs sounds good, what are the cxr compared to minilites, tried a google search but nothing came up

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/7/08 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think CXRs are around 5kgs, maybe a bit higher but they're cheaper than ML splits

cashy

posted on 7/7/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
so what width are you running then chris?

Same front and rear, what series tyres?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/7/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ive actually got 6" front and 7.5" rear with 185/60-13 on the front and 205/60-13 on the rear (pictured above).

I originally had 6" all round, with 185s all round they were fine but the rears wore out fairly quickly. I went up to 205s on the rear with the 6" rim to see if they'd wear better, but the tyre wasnt really stable enough on a rim that narrow so used to roll its outside edge quite quickly. This doesnt seem to happen on IRS cars though where you can add some -ve camber, its more an issue on live axled cars like mine.

I bought some new outer rims for the rears to go up to 7" but Barnby actually sent me outers that were half an inch wider than I ordered, hence the 7.5" I have now. They're actually about right though IMHO, certainly not too wide for a 205/60 tyre, and helps keep the tyre from rolling over with the live axle setup.

That does highlight one other advantage of split rims though, that you can order new outers to change the rim width if required without replacing the entire wheel.

Chris

[Edited on 7/7/08 by ChrisGamlin]

cashy

posted on 7/7/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
many thanks chris, think i may need 7 inch rears on 205 and 6 inch front on 185

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/7/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yep thats a good starting point, having driven with 205s on the front I certainly think 185s are the way to go, they actually seem to give more grip and a sharper turn-in, at least on the BECs Ive driven with those sizes.

cashy

posted on 7/7/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chris,

now where to get some minilites.....minators or similar..........

chris did you used to have a striker that was very light?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/7/08 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Not me, probably Richard Miles (Striker R1 Website) that you're thinking of.

Ive always had the Locost, originally with a blade and then subsequently the 03 R1 engine. If Im not thinking of someone else, I think you live(d) round the corner from my uni mate in Stone don't you, I popped round once to say hello when I saw your car on the drive?

[Edited on 8/7/08 by ChrisGamlin]

cashy

posted on 8/7/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
arrr yes that was it...........still here....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.