Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheels
Smooth Torquer

posted on 27/10/03 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Wheels

Hi guys,
I have a Luego chassis, which uses Cortina fronts and a shorted Seira backend. So not quite a Velocity! (I bought it about a year ago)

I bought the wide rear arches for it, but im not sure what size (width) and offset the wheels should be at the rear, so that they fill the arches.

With wider rear wheels what size (width) and offset should the fronts be?

Thanks

Sam

Smooth Torquer

posted on 1/11/03 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone???

Someone must know!

Please help me

JoelP

posted on 1/11/03 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
well, if you measure the width of the back end between the two mounting faces, and then work out how wide the car will be, from wheel arch to wheel arch, you can work out how much wider the wheels need to make it. An average tyre might ne about 200mm wide i think, so eight inches maybe. Then work out what offset you will need. i think offset is specifically the distance between the centre of the wheel and the mounting face.

do you have any wheels in mind? maybe just try them to see how well they fit.

other people know how much spacer is safe, so i'm sure someone can help!

Smooth Torquer

posted on 2/11/03 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

I dont really have any wheels in mind yet, so i'll go measure my chassis and then i'll know what size im looking for.

Thanks

Sam

JohnN

posted on 2/11/03 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Most Ford wheels have an offset of approx 35mm. This means that the centreline of the wheel is 35mm to the inside of the axle mounting face.

So measure the track, from hub face to face, subtract 70mm, then add a wheel width and that will be the tyre face to face track dimension.

Subtract the the chassis width and halve the answer and that should be the minimum width of wheel arch to cover the tyre?

Note 4 stud puegeot wheels also have the same bolt circle dimension so in theory will fit. However they have an offset of approx 15mm, so will stick out further

Anybody care to agree with me?

Hope this helps

JohnN

andyd

posted on 3/11/03 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find FWD Ford are something like 38mm and RWD Ford are 19mm. Certainly Cortina are ET19 i.e. 19mm.

Do a search on some of my previous posts about wheel offset and rear wheel arch sizes and you'll get the drift.

Andy

ChrisW

posted on 4/11/03 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Have you not got some donor wheels you can put on? Measure the distance between the inside of the tyre to the inner edge of the arch and the outside of the tyre to the outside of the arch and you/I can work it out.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.