Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake bias bar fouling
Dave J

posted on 21/11/03 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
brake bias bar fouling

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

Hope someone can shed a little light on the following:

Have just started building my Viento and have come across what appears to be a problem with the brake bias bar namely; the end of the bar (LHS) appears to restrict movement of the brake pedal by fouling on the centre web of the pedal box. Has anyone come across this problem and is the answer to get the fettler on the centre web?.

It's the 'gold pedal box' BTW (even though its really black)

Be grateful for your input on this folks

Oh and while I'm here, can I pass on a huge vote of thanks to Graham (lovely dark blue Viento V8 featured on the Luego customer build section) who played an absolute blinder in helping us to load our kit a couple of weeks ago.

All the best

Dave

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, not sure if I should have bunged it in the brakes bit. Such are the trials of a noobie!!

Stu16v

posted on 21/11/03 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry if you have already checked this-but is the bias bar in the center of its adjustment or is it more to the 'fouling' side by a considerable amount?
If it's in the centre and it is fouling, then is there plenty of surplus on the bias bar to trim that instead? I think a call to Leugo would be best if the problem cant be resolved-trimming the centre web doesnt sound right IMHO....

Dont just build it.....make it!

ChrisW

posted on 22/11/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mine fouls slightly on the rhs of the box. Are you sure you have the bar in the right way around? One 'side' is longer than the other.

I'm planning to trim a little of the end of the bar when it comes to that stage.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 22/11/03 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
brake bias bar

mine fouled on l/h/s , have trimmed off excess in smaal amounts until everything cleared, also on subject bias bar needs to be locked for s.v.a. What I did with mine was to get trunnions? {part with female thread} drilled and tapped {in lathe } to take small grub screws which can be tightened onto small flat machined onto top of bias bar. HOPE THIS HELPS
ChrisW

posted on 22/11/03 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not just screw nylocs on the ends of the bar?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave J

posted on 24/11/03 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help everyone, I stripped the bias bar over the weekend , its curious that the centre bearing (held by circlips) is not centrally placed on the threaded bar.
What is the right way round for the bias bar? Mine was supplied ready assembled with the excess to the left, from what Chris is saying, maybe it should be the other way round??.

I think careful shortening of the bar may be the answer. No doubt it will be painfully obvious eventually.

On your comments of locking the bar (Rusty and Chris), are we talking about the sva friendly method, ie, a pin through the nuts or are the grub screw/nyloc nut suggestions an alternative ?

Your comments are much appreciated gents, I don't want to bodge things up before I've got anywhere.

Thanks again

Dave.

wicket

posted on 24/11/03 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Dave

It goes to the right. Have a look at the Velocity build manual on this previous thread, its got pictures & words how to do it.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=7089

Dave J

posted on 24/11/03 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Wicket,

Looks like mine was supplied with the bar fitted the wrong way round.

Apologies if I seem to be asking the obvious, its a helluva learning curve this kit car game.

cheers

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.