Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA (again!)
myke pocock

posted on 12/5/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA (again!)

Not that this will make a blind bit of difference to my local office speeding the process up, but is anyone experiencing long delays in getting the registration process carried out. Forms in on the 6th April and today a personal visit to the office says they have a backlog and may get to them next week.
Land Locked

posted on 12/5/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Reading about the trials n tribulations you guys n gals are having with your bureaucrats over yonder makes me think that just maybe we don't have it quite as bad as we thought here in Sarf Efrika.
chris_smith

posted on 12/5/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
called in with the forms in hand yesterday to preston dvla, booked an appointment for inspection while checking the forms, for next thursday 10am. everything going swimmingly so far

cheers
chris

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

zoom

posted on 12/5/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Is it me or is getting it regiestered at the dvla harder than building it??
Just been sitting in the borehamwood branch for a total of 2 hours today waiting to hand in my forms only to find i'm talking to someone who
dosent work there and must have slipped in the back door and thinks its funny to pretend to process forms.

me..................... ''Its a kit car ''

dvla zombie........ ''what a kitkat??''

me.................... ''er no a kitcar, a car I built from a kit''

dvla zombie...... ''oh a kat car thats a funny name''

me................... '' er no, sorry, its a kit car, I built it myself in my garage. I can show you a picture of it if you like, I have one on my phone''

dvla zombie...... '' no we are not allowed to talk to third partys, all applicatations must be done in person'

The next few minutes are too sureal for me to bring back into my mind without professional help but I must have paid for the tax as I have a receipt for £245.00 and will have to wait for them to contact me for the built-up inspection.

The receipt say kitcat on it.

mycar
mybuildsite

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lexus

posted on 12/5/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
You have my sympathies. I thought Civil Servants were supposed to be civil, and provide a service. DVLA is an exception. My experience is that you need to call them (actually, you call a central number; they call the office you are dealing with and someone from that office calls you back- efficient or what!) 2 or 3 days after they should have recived your paperwork/promised a response/called with an inspection appointment/sent documents or whatever. You then act confused/need their help/grit your teeth and then things slowly start to happen. But boy, will you find out what your reserves of patience are! Good luck!
phil m

posted on 12/5/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's no use to you now, but for others it's really worth going to the office well in advance of actually registering to find out if they have anyone in the know and then always dealing with that person.

If not, give them the info they need for the future and try to keep contact with that person.

As you say "what's a kit car" is a heartsink

FEZ1025

posted on 12/5/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
How about this, praise for the DVLA, Nottingham seem to have it sussed, you go in, choose the right button to get your ticket, you jump the queue in front of the normal run of the mill stuff. you are directed to a person who actually knows what kitcars, imports etc. are & how they differ, they go through all the paperwork, make sure it's all okay & then book you an appointment. You then have to go back at the appointd time, spend 5 minutes while they look round, ask a couple of questions & your tax disc & authority to get plates arrive 2 days later. It was apart from making 2 90 mile round trips easy.

Alan...

myke pocock

posted on 12/5/09 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
The guy in my office said that other applications that need to be done "in one or five days take priority" so kit built vehicles are a low priority. Surely a kit built vehicle is as important as a new vehicle, I pay same as everyone else, similar process apart from inspection or is this just bloody frustration on my part after 11 years of build, SVA butterflies and the suns out. Suppose I will get there one day. Ho Hum.
FEZ1025

posted on 13/5/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry Mike, didn't look at who had posted, as I said over on the Skoda forum you have more patience than me. I would be in there demanding that it was sorted out. When I registered my previous buggy it was at Sheffield, they promised a 5 day turnaround on the paperwork. After 6 days & heard nothing I went in to be told that the paperwork had been put in the wrong pile (imports not kits) & it would be another 2 weeks before it was sorted. I refused to accept that & eventually they agreed to inspect it the same day if I fetched it down, which I did & they even did the rest of the paperwork there & then & I got on the road later.

I really do think you need to go in if you can, it's so easy for them to fob you off over the phone. Have you paid & have they cashed the cheque yet?

Alan..
a.k.a Phaeton

[Edited on 13-5-0909 by FEZ1025]

rustyk

posted on 13/5/09 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Nottingham DVLA sounds *exactly* the same as Northampton except it was a 50 mile round trip for me.. It's been two days since inspection now as well, so fingers crossed the postman will have good news for me.
coozer

posted on 13/5/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Well I went in on spec Tuesday afternoon after SVA on the morning and got the inspection... my fault I didn't have the insurance or she would have done the reg there and then.

I went back Friday, took a ticket, stood in the Q then plonked all the forms on the counter and said "I would like to register my car please" The VNP behind the counter had a split second blank look then went to fetch someone who knew...

They did all of the actions at the PC on the counter and I walked out 15 mins later with tax, reg and 3 very happy people.. me and the two girls who I couldn't thank enough.

I suspect some builders problems are self created...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Vindi_andy

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
More praise for Notts and a very nice lady called Hayley

Well i didnt go and q at notts but put all my paperwork in an envelope with cash (no waiting for cheque to clear) and hand delivered it on a saturday

Got a phone call 2 days later to arrange an appointment. unfortunately they were busy so that was a week and a half later.

Went to inspection about 10 mins including arguing over age related and Q plate as I had been wrongly advised by swansea to scrap the donor.

Gave her a load of photos which swayed the arguement. Got a phonecall about 4 hours later saying that she would issue an age related plate and unfortunately they had missed the post (this was last friday) they would go in post monday so should get them today ish

[Edited on 13/5/09 by Vindi_andy]

myke pocock

posted on 13/5/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Quote: I suspect some builders problems are self created

Would you care to elaborate?

mad-butcher

posted on 13/5/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Dvla Chester
Same as coozer and fez1025 no probs and I know of another happy bunny on here or soon will be

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.