Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 post lift
rustyk

posted on 17/5/09 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
2 post lift

Hi,

Quick question. I've done a bit of searching on the forums so I think I know what the concensus is, but would you lot say it's fine to put a 7 on a 2 post lift?
I need to change the gearbox oil on mine and one of my mates (who's a good mechanic) reckons a 2 post lif might be a bit dodgy on our cars because of the design of the chassis.
He's said it would be much better to wait and take it somewhere with a 'proper' ramp/lift.
Cheers!

cidersurfer

posted on 17/5/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mines been on a two post loads of times, can't see a problem personally

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

Mal

posted on 17/5/09 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Cidersurfer.
rusty nuts

posted on 17/5/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
No problem with mine on a two poster either. Draining the oil will be fun if your using a type 9 box, there is no drain plug. It is possible to get most of the oil out using a piece of screen washer hose but takes ages
rustyk

posted on 17/5/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Doh! Yes, it's a type 9.. That'll be fun then :-)
He was worried about the chassis twisting I think but sounds like it won't be a problem as long as we're careful.

Peteff

posted on 17/5/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you need to change the oil ?

Just asking out of interest. I only ever topped mine up and there is no service interval for changing it is there ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jonesier1

posted on 17/5/09 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
mines been on a two poster,no problem.
rustyk

posted on 17/5/09 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
When I drove it on Thursday (first drive) my mate commented that the gearbox sounded very 'whiney'. It was supposedly a rebuilt unit, but we thought rather safe than sorry let's change the oil. That the reason. At least make sure it's topped up anyway.
I have to say thought, it sounded pretty good making a bit of noise!

DarrenW

posted on 19/5/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I know of at least one manufacturer that uses a 2 post lift with no issues at all. If the chassis were a problem it would be worse to lift with a jack from a single point but no-one has ever had a problem with those.
You should be able to lift the car using a high lift pallet truck as well - even more locost.

NS Dev

posted on 21/5/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
of course it'll be ok on a 2 post (that's what I have in my workshop! ) and if lifting it up could twist it then I certainly wouldn't entertain driving anywhere in it!!!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

wilkingj

posted on 22/5/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
No problem with mine on a two poster either. Draining the oil will be fun if your using a type 9 box, there is no drain plug. It is possible to get most of the oil out using a piece of screen washer hose but takes ages

How about using a vacuum venturi effect like on the brake bleeders that use an airline?.

I empty a 4" duct of water using that technique!
I have a Duct that runs from the garden into the house, (about 4 metres, with 90 degree bends on each end).
I have to drain it out a couple of times a year.

I use a shcutz gun with an extended pipe, works a treat. For the gearbox, you just need another pipe into a large can to collect the oil, rather than spray it over the garden (mines just rainwater in the pipe)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.