Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cleaning / Stripping Timber Decking
John P

posted on 5/7/13 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cleaning / Stripping Timber Decking

I need to clean and re-finish an area of timber decking which is probably around 5 years old.

It's not too bad overall but the original finish which looks like a varnish rather than an oil has worn off on the flat surface whilst in the grooves there is still a thickish layer of finish in the bottom which is then pealing off on the sides of the groove.

It would be really difficult to sand it off so I was looking at Ronseal Decking Stripper but it doesn't get particularly good reviews and even speaking to their technical department didn't make me any more confident it would be OK.

I've come across references to a product called Prepdeck but I've no adea if it's any good.

Does anyong have any advice?

John.

Vindi_andy

posted on 5/7/13 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
When my desking started doing this I just went at it with the pressure washer with the turbo nozzle this lifted all the old deck paint off. Left it a couple of days to dry out then applied the new finish. I did have to do quite a bit of cleaning up after Id used the pressure washer but it did a great job of taking the old finish off.
jossey

posted on 5/7/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
As above jet wash it. Leave it for at least 2 hot days. Apply new stuff and sorted :-)

Use a wire brush as well.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 5/7/13 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yep! Jet wash will do it. Do it this weekend and it will dry out in a couple of days.

snakebelly

posted on 5/7/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I really hope it hasn't been varnished! just did mine, mixed up some caustic in a bucket of hot water and went at it with a scrubbing brush followed by a good hose down then a going over with the jet washer, I do it about every 2 years and it comes up lovely.
Jasper

posted on 6/7/13 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
What do people recommend to put on after as mine is looking very tired now after 5 years ......

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Andybarbet

posted on 6/7/13 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
I always use just teak oil on our decking, its getting a bit expensive now but wilkinsons do it the cheapest at about £5 PER LITRE.

I slap it on liberally with a 2" brush.

Oh, meant to say that I always strip back with the jetwasher first & give it a few days to dry out before I oil it.

Its been down 5 years now & still looks good.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.