Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SATA HDD installation problems
Jasper

posted on 14/7/13 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
SATA HDD installation problems

I have been running two SATA HDD in a NAS for a while now but it has always given me problems with smooth and fast enough data transfer for downloading and watching HD films. I have ben advised n another forum to install them directly in my HTPC. The problem now is that it's asking me to format them both - they are full 2TB drives (on a RAID) so not something I'm contemplating.

So they have physically gone in fine.

Is there any way to install these without having to format them?

I could put them back in the NAS and attach with a USB, but would much rather have them in the HTPC.

Do I have to put them back in the NAS and set them up differently there first?

[Edited on 14/7/13 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

rgrs

posted on 14/7/13 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
The problem will be that your nas box normally runs on a Linux platform and uses it's own file structure.

Although it's not entirely impossible I don't think it would resolve your issues.

What problems are you getting,what nas unit are you using and how are you connecting the two ?

Some nas units are just too slow (normally lacking on processor power) other times it can be a simple thing of network speed.

Roger

britishtrident

posted on 14/7/13 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I discovered a long time ago there is no such thing as standards in the world of RAID.
If they are working where they are leave well alone but seriously consider backing up or making clones

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Jasper

posted on 14/7/13 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've been fiddling with this NAS - a DLink one - for a year now, I have to have both HDD running all the time of the torrents just disconnect.

I'm definitely going to get rid of it - it's on a standard cat5 network. I've put the HDD back in the NAS - it's on a Raid 1. I want to split the raid config up and just have them operating separately, but it won't let me, so I think I will just have to copy all the files over onto a spare external HDD, then format the drives back in the PC, then copy the files back again.

Any thoughts other than doing this?

rgrs

posted on 14/7/13 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I can tell you from experience that unless you use a higher end nas box you will always suffer from issues with the speed that the nas can process the file.

If you wanted to stay with a nas system then look out for a secondhand buffalo terastation, look for the versions that have the giga net connections.

Although these take 4 disks it gives better options for disk redundancy and performance. You can pick them up for around £100 on the bay. Mine runs 4 1 x Tb disks ( N.B. these are optimised for video( seagate sv or wd av-gp).

if you want to install them into the HTPC the yes you will need to off-load the data to alternative storage, install them in the HTPC, create a new raid and then re-import the data ( that is if the HTPC can handle raid).

Roger

Jasper

posted on 14/7/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Going for the latter, thanks!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.