Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Posting Lithium Batteries.
rf900rush

posted on 29/9/19 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Posting Lithium Batteries.

I need some help
Has any one found a way of posting lithium batteries. With in the UK.
They are hard cased LiFePO4 types 3.2V 25Amp. total pack is 640Whrs.

Must be the legal methods.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 29/9/19 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
i tried to post a laptop battery and was told i couldnt yet it came from China no problem, i tried a couple of couriers and they wernt interested either

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

coyoteboy

posted on 29/9/19 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
It's becoming virtually impossible.

If they're packed in a UN approved fireproof case and a type approved cell then you will be OK, but to know and follow all that requires quite a lot of reading and expensive packaging. Most couriers just refuse now.

The legislation is becoming prohibitive and people are just ignoring it, which is worse. I got shipped an iPhone x battery pack by mistake and can't get rid of it 😭

About the only way now is to ship it in a device.

[Edited on 29/9/19 by coyoteboy]

rf900rush

posted on 29/9/19 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies

I guessed this was the case.

I my problem is made worse by the fact I have 8KWhrs of Lithium cells which are 25Ahr each.

Looks like I stuck with collection only. Until that's banned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 29/9/19 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Li-Po battery from Amazon last week. Came in a normal Amazon small package with a warning label on.

My wife also received a new iPhone recently, that just came in a bag, without any warning stickers.

Could you ship it in one of those fireproof charging bags used from drone battery charging. Mine cost £10 but you could do a Freeport return on it, depending on what you are selling.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

rf900rush

posted on 30/9/19 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
Amazon and other commercial companies dot not have the same limitations ans the rest of us.
They have contracts with the couriers, which have different rules.

One problem I came across in my searches, was, if Amazon sent you a faulty batteries for you laptop/phone
you can not send it back !

peter030371

posted on 30/9/19 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Companies that regularly post lithium batteries, such as Amazon, have trained DGSA (Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser). It is the job of the DGSA to make sure materials are packed correctly and this includes staff training i.e. the DGSA does not have to pack every battery pack.

If the DGSA has done his job then several courier companies are happy to take the correctly packed and marked lithium battery packs.

Even with a DGSA (I have one trained up in my business as we send out Lithium battery packs regularly as spare parts) it is getting very difficult to send Lithiums world wide. We have major customers in Australia and we simply cannot send them spare battery packs any more due to the regulations. We have also had couriers (UPS and FedEx being two recent examples) return to us correctly packed and marked parcels that we sent out saying 'we cannot ship Lithium' and our DGSA spends literally hours explaining the rules to them in order to get the spare parts out (and in one case they simply refused false stop despite being 100% in the wrong).

We have a new design of product that has gone back to NiMH batteries which are heavier, typically have less power for the same size and technically more difficult to charge/ maintain correctly BUT the decision was made on the ability to be able to supply spare battery packs in the future (although NiMH are now also getting similar restrictions)

To the OP it is possible to find an independent DGSA who can underwrite the shipment but this will cost so possibly not worth it unless your are selling them commercially.

Whilst the rules are annoying they are also for a good reason. I have been shown pictures and videos from our battery suppliers of lithium battery pack fires and the damage they do, some of these pictures are on the ground at an airport for a shipment waiting to board a plane that at the time would have had people on board....it took 18 hrs for the fire to stop burning in that case. This was in China and involved 'fake' battery packs not made or packed correctly but all suppliers are now having to prove they are safe before anyone risks carrying them.

ianhurley20

posted on 30/9/19 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Over the last few weeks I've bought 3S lipo batteries from Hobbyking - 12 litium 1.5v AA batteries from Ebay and Amazon and no issues, delivered by Amazon, Parcelforce and Yodel (I think, no markings on van)

coyoteboy

posted on 30/9/19 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, businesses have specific processes and ship using agreed methods and packing, and even then it's getting hard. As Peter said, we ship batteries worldwide and it's becoming an absolute PITA to the point where we are going to end up with a specific environmental test procedure for every pack type we send out (vibration, thermal, vacuum testing etc). Even OTS cells need careful packaging and companies require specific contracts with couriers proving they know how to pack things. Joe public is done for, I'm afraid.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.