Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Progress update
jollygreengiant

posted on 23/7/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Progress update

Things seem to have been a bit quiet on this section for a while from builders so thought I might give you all an update on progress so far.
New pictures in photo archives, but I have been kinda busy lately in garage and at work (begging letter from HMG - brown manilla envelope payable by 31/07/2006).
Anyway, still got one internal panel to fit (o/s/r lower) but the rest is progressing. Scuttle deck and upper glass fibre cowl fitted, tunnel covers fitted. Today I went up the garage and brought home a large pile of spaghetti (wiring) to sort through and trim down so that I can start fitting it in place, no cost project for the next week (see above, still got £400 to find).
I fitted the lower panels last and wiith dome head bolts so that I can remove them at a later date for servicing rear suspension if necessary.

Your thoughts?

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

andybod

posted on 23/7/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
i could give an update too but all i have to report is another layer of dust this week progress very slow need me ass kicking any body help
Steve Lovelock

posted on 24/7/06 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
I have also been quiet during the last three weeks having got the engine in last month. I now need to weld up some brackets to enable me to remove the jack that is holding up the engine. I also need to cut and shut the chassis to make room for the oil filter (VX Redtop). But I have acquired a mig welder so should be able to take a big step forward when I get back from the hols.
RichB

posted on 24/7/06 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Last weekend I got my NS side panel on and am just doing the little things that need doing before getting the OS panel on. Pedals and such - it seems a lot of access will be denied when the panel is on. Oh and steering column is in place. Being a tart I put on my little momo wheel just to see how it'd look. It's still on!

Hopefully will get more done this week - it's so hot in the garage! I was complaining about the cold not so long ago!

Rich

Paul (Notts)

posted on 24/7/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have not managed to do anything since Newark, due to work and a new conservatory, but I now have six weeks off work and plan to finish the engine and fit it into the car by the end of the holidays.

Six weeks sounds a lot but I have only managed to book ( yes book! ) five full days to work on the car with SWMBO.

also hope to fit the radiator - started making a bracket for this today. ( using a volvo rad as a cheep option along with a 16 inch kenlowe fan - will be a very tight fit if it works!)

new pic Rescued attachment feb06 005.jpg
Rescued attachment feb06 005.jpg

Dave J

posted on 25/7/06 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring got a bit tough did it Paul? I see you brought in the expert

Fantastic picture BTW. I reckon my build would have slowed alot with that competition for my attention.

All the best,

Dave.

simonk

posted on 25/7/06 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Not much progress on mine. Have taken off the front uprights ready to be sent away to have the bottom taper re-cut (anyone know of a firm Beds/Herts/Cambs that will do ?). In the process knocked over one of my front wheels (Superlite Ultralites) and chipped the powder coat on all the spokes. There was some swearing

Engine and gearbox to fit, wiring to complete, instruments to fit.

Sounds easy when you say it fast.

steve.l.jones

posted on 27/7/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lovelock
I have also been quiet during the last three weeks having got the engine in last month. I now need to weld up some brackets to enable me to remove the jack that is holding up the engine. I also need to cut and shut the chassis to make room for the oil filter (VX Redtop). But I have acquired a mig welder so should be able to take a big step forward when I get back from the hols.

hi
i spoke to steve from luego (RIP) a while back about cutting the chassis for the oil filter, he reckons theres no need just buy a shortened oil filter from westfield, they are about 20 quid i think but saves a lot of trouble... or to save even more trouble you could remove the oil cooler adaptor from the engine via undoing the nipple that the filter screws onto and replacing it with one from virtualy any vauxhall engine from a scrappy. therfore doing away with the oil cooler (this is what i have done) ....dont no how much of a nesesity the oil cooler is though.. not had chance to run mine long enough yet
steve

[Edited on 27/7/06 by steve.l.jones]

[Edited on 27/7/06 by steve.l.jones]

Steve Lovelock

posted on 28/7/06 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
That sounds like a great idea for the oil filtre problem. Not that I am bothered by cutting and welding the chassis but I am bothered by the expense of sourcing a suitable oil rad and pipe work.
richard thomas

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Get stuck in lads - it's definitely worth it in the end. There is only one downside, now i've finished SHMBO is threatening the old paintbrush chores again - DAMMIT!!!

The best bit of advice i can give is not to spend too much time looking at it and thinking with a brew in hand, just pick a small job and do it. I reckon I must have spent 20% of my build time doing just that - looking and thinking...it just makes your head hurt in the end and no further forward...

Rich.

rusty nuts

posted on 30/7/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Know what you mean about paint brush jobs , my fingers tip a worn raw from all the rubbing down
simonk

posted on 1/8/06 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Visited Dean and Bob in Oakham at the weekend for them to re-cut the tapers in my uprights. Did them on the spot for me. Seem like nice people with their heads screwed on straight about what to do with Luego. A more modest unit, with (presumably) less overheads, currently filled to the brim with jigs, chassis, tube and parts.

So, with the tapers re-cut I got the front corners properly assembled with the brakes and wing stays in place and got the first bends in the wing stays. Progress at last !!

Simon

richard thomas

posted on 2/8/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see that they are doing the biz!! Hopefully they will be around for a long time. They deserve it because it is a good product. From a purely selfish point of view it will help residual values too..NOT that I'm thinking of selling!

On the downside, I have to paint the bedroom on Friday...everybody say 'Aawww' - I could be polishing my silencer instead

Cheers, Rich.

simonk

posted on 3/8/06 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
'polish my silencer'

Is that a euphemism..........

jollygreengiant

posted on 4/8/06 at 03:04 AM Reply With Quote
I turned my back on my kit car for a day or two and now its either got a severe fungus infection, or, there's a spaghetti tree starting to grow in it/out of it.

God I hate electrics. Rescued attachment 03082006.jpg
Rescued attachment 03082006.jpg

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

darrens

posted on 9/8/06 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
that's looks nearyly like a BT junction box!!!
Paul (Notts)

posted on 9/8/06 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
God.. I cant remember mine looking like that - I think I must have missed some wires out !!!!!!
jollygreengiant

posted on 11/8/06 at 04:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
God.. I cant remember mine looking like that - I think I must have missed some wires out !!!!!!

Trouble is that I'm using the/my Granada loom so it started of 3 times too long and with about 5 times too many wires in it, air con, abs, wiper, stereo, electric windows, bulb failure unit, central locking, electric seats, etc etc etc etc..............

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.