Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear leaver and dash
Steve Lovelock

posted on 3/1/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Gear leaver and dash

I am just about to order a dash panel and whilst measuring up I realised that if the dash follows the lines of the scuttle it will be almost on top of the gear leaver. Has anybody had this problem? If so what has been done about it?

Cheers
Steve

[Edited on 3/1/07 by Steve Lovelock]

nick205

posted on 3/1/07 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
does the dash you're looking at extend down to the tunnel? If so you may want to look at a flat bottomed dash to clear the gearstick.

Alternatively there are extension kits available from Westfield and others to move the gear lever back (I'm assuming you're using a type 9 gearbox?)

On my Indy I've made a flat bottomed dash to get around the problem, but I've also had to bend the gear lever back slightly to avoid crushing my knuckles on the dashboard for 1st, 3rd and 5th gears.

HTH

Nick

nick205

posted on 3/1/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
like this... Rescued attachment latest-2.jpg
Rescued attachment latest-2.jpg

worX

posted on 3/1/07 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Gear position

more than a few years ago, when I built my own chassis etc. I used Westfield's quickshift remote gear change plate - I can't find a link to it right now - it was £80. But I'm sure someone on here will be able to suggest a much cheaper alternative.

hth

Steve.

Danozeman

posted on 3/1/07 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger do an etension aswell. I think the westy one is better.

I think most people have this trouble. Mine just about clears but iv got my gearbox quite far back..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

COREdevelopments

posted on 3/1/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
i got the same problem, im using a toyota gearbox so cant buy an extension, so at the moment im trying to make my own which is bit of a task. anyone got any pics of the westy ones?

oliwb

posted on 3/1/07 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The Tiger one is cack and about the same price. Buy the westfield one. Its powder coated has a built in reverse stop and is not as 'limp' as the Tiger one I was supplied with. Oli.

Linky linky:
http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/shop/product.asp?numRecordPosition=29&P_ID=249&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID =77

[Edited on 3/1/07 by oliwb]

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 3/1/07 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Built my own remote and quickshift for less than £1.00 Do a search I copied a design on David Jenkins website. Length can be altered when making , mine moved the lever 5"backwards
wicket

posted on 3/1/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I based mine on Ben Copelands design (see link), simple, easy to make and it does work very well.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=15614

Pics in photo archive

Steve Lovelock

posted on 3/1/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips. It is a Type 9, I should have said. I like the look of the Westfield device but am a skinflint so will have a go at bending the leaver as suggested by Nick. I was planning on a flat bottomed dash anyway so it should be ok and if not then I'll contact Westfield and wince.

Cheers
Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.