Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats the consesus on rim width
the moa 2

posted on 24/4/07 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Whats the consesus on rim width

Just looking at getting some new wheels and wanted to know what peoples thoughts are on rim width.

I remember speaking with a guy at Stuart Taylor who advised not to over rubber a bec and said that a 13x6 would be adequate enough and that this is what the RGB guys use.

I have seen recently that "Athoirs" has put some 8inches on the back and some 7inches on the front which look fat.

All opinions welcome

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
oh god no! why did you have to ask that...

like your going to get any agreement on that here.

personally I don't think there is one correct size and it all depends on just what you are looking for from the car in terms of looks and handling.

For example for me (the rim size), car (1) 10 inch on the back and 8 inch on the front, car (2) skinny tall crossplys all round on a 5 inch rim

[Edited on 24/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 24/4/07 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
13x6 all round for me.
185/60 on the front 205/60 on the back

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 24/4/07 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
the way I would do it, and I'm not saying it is the right way, would be to decide on the tyres then fit the narrowest rims as specified by the tyre maker to keep the weight down. sp going on from that 195 are about as wide as you should go IMO.
JoelP

posted on 24/4/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
im going for 5.5 or 6 wide, to take circa 200 slicks (cant remember the width)
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
these cars would make great dune buggys how about some big balloon tyres???

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

rayward

posted on 24/4/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
i've gone for 6" for road, and 5.5" for track

Ray

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/4/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Personally Id go 185/60-13" on 6" rims for the front, and the same again, or 205/60 on 7" rims on the back, no bigger.

Ive got 6" rims all round and have run 205/60-13 A032s before and although perfectly safe, the tyre did tend to roll about a bit more and so wear the outside edge, so have reverted to 185s. 205s do seem to give a bit more grip though as well as helping with gearing so I'll get some new outer rims for my compomotive split rims at some point and run 205s

TangoMan

posted on 24/4/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on many variables.

With a live axle mine feels like it could do with more rear grip so wider may be better. The fronts are grippy even with plastic tyres so 205 on 7inch rims seems good.

This may change as I add some nice soft tyres.

Independant setups will probably different again though.

Summer's here!!!!

the moa 2

posted on 24/4/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Was planning on getting some A048R and they do 175 185 or 205 in 13's.

Wheres best place to buy compomotive cxr's and Yokohama A048R.

I recently bought some compomotive MO's for a car direct from compomotive thinking it would be cheapest, then one day i was on the bog flicking through my Fastford mag and saw Reyland's was advertising MO's for any car £200 cheaper than what i paid DOH !

So i called them up and they were a bit miffed but agreed to knocked £100 off so i was still a bit miffed.

JoelP

posted on 24/4/07 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
i got my wheels today off ebay, and also the michelin slicks to go with them. Total outlay is £120 and 2 hours collecting, maybe 30 getting them fitted. Thats gotta be one of the most locost ways of getting more grip for fewer pounds?
ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/4/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Err might be an idea to resize your avatar pic moa

the moa 2

posted on 24/4/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry changed !

I do hate it when others have avatars that make the text go too far across the page that you have to scroll to read it all, so i dont know why i decided to do it i think i was just feeling left out seeing evreyone else's cars etc that i wanted to stick one on there.

Slicks arnt gonna be any good to me on the road unfortunately but yes definately a good buy you got yourself there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.