Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine height
ChrisW

posted on 4/8/03 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Engine height

Just about to make up some engine mounts on my Viento but I'm worried about where (vertically) the engine should sit in the bay. Can anyone tell me how much space there is between the top rail and the underside of the bonnet? How much of the sump can I allow to protrude below the bottom rail?

Cheers, Chris.

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 4/8/03 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
It's best if it doesn't touch the road. Put your chassis down on some 1" sections, put the engine where it's going to go, fill in the gap with your engine mount. That way you should only have 1" below the rail when it is lifted. It's best if the engine still clears the floor when you have a puncture and are on the rim.

yours, Pete.

[Edited on 4/8/03 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dick Axtell

posted on 17/8/03 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

This is a problem which has been worrying me. I gauge the engine height above the top rail @ 7.5 inches (for 1600 xflow). This is with 1 inch of sump below the bottom rail (on a book chassis).

Check out this thread for a pic of the installation :- http://forum.locostbuilders.co.uk/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=6663

Still waiting on the nosecone to check everything fits.
BoL

[Edited on 17/8/03 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

ChrisW

posted on 17/8/03 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Really need to find out now so I guess I'll give Grant a call tomorrow and find out for definate!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dick Axtell

posted on 18/8/03 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Grant's Feedback?

And his reply was??
G3OFF

posted on 18/8/03 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

what sizes do you need chris.. i can measure of my viento if you need anything in particular...

cheers

Geoff

no such thing as to much power......

ChrisW

posted on 18/8/03 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't get hold of him today. Engaged tones at lunchtime then I forgot about it until gone half five.

G3OFF - I'm after the clearance between the level of the top chassis rail and the underside of the bonnet so I know how high to place my engine.

Chris

My gaff my rules

ChrisW

posted on 20/8/03 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Luego Sports Cars Ltd [SMTP:info@luegosportscars.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 6:05 PM
> To: ChrisW
> Subject: RE: Viento bonnet clearance
>
> 210 mm at front and 250 mm at rear.

That's from top chassis rail to underside of bonnet.

Chris

[Edited on 20/8/03 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

G3OFF

posted on 20/8/03 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go.... its a ruff drawing but should help... hopefully

dotted line is the bonnet by the way

[Edited on 20/8/03 by G3OFF] Rescued attachment chris.jpg
Rescued attachment chris.jpg

no such thing as to much power......

ChrisW

posted on 20/8/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
That's different to what Grant told me! Guess I'll assume worst case scenario and go for 250-195mm

Chris

My gaff my rules

Browser

posted on 26/8/03 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
You could always hack a hole in it and fit a 'power bulge' or somethign similar? Paid my first visit to Luego today and cam away impressed. I was full steam on for buying an MK and thought i'd better look at Luego as they are about 9 miles from my house and MK aren't! They have just started with the Velocity Xt which is widened at the rear to take full length Sierra driveshafts and they have widened the front slightly to balance the look of the car. They have also added some more diagonal stiffeners to provide a little more side impact protection. I was impressed by the general quality of both the car I saw and the chassis' under production, especially by the use of rectangular tube for the diagonal bracers which gave the whole thing a beefier & thus stronger/safer appearance.
Engine height. I'm planning to use a 16 valve Citroen engine in whatever I end up buying so I'll probably have to have a lumpy bonnet to clear it. I think MK manufacture a bolt-on blister for the bonnets of their cars, maybe that would fit if necessary?

Sparky

posted on 27/8/03 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Browser
You could always hack a hole in it and fit a 'power bulge' or something similar?

That's what I'm doing. Got myself a a book Luego chassis, and I'm squeezing in a Pinto and type 9, along with standard fibreglass nose and scuttle. I'm sure you can imagine that it's not all going to fit without something poking out!

I've determined that with 4 inches of ground clearance, and a relocated oil filler, I can get away with a 'small' bulge over the cam pulley only, perhaps even smaller if I machine the cam belt backing disc down to size.

May have to modify my RS alloy sump by an inch though.

We'll see... Rescued attachment DSCF0114.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0114.JPG

Sparky

posted on 27/8/03 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
And from the underside... Rescued attachment DSCF0115.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0115.JPG

Metal Hippy

posted on 29/8/03 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
It'll be interesting to see how much movement your engine has at those times when revs drop and it vibrates a bit on the mounts...

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Luego Sports Cars

posted on 29/8/03 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Book And Velocity Xt

Hi guys.

The book chassis and GRP is not designed to take the Pinto, however the new Velocity Xt is and it will house the Duretec, Z-Tech, Toyota Twin Cam plus most bike engines.

We have made the new Velocity Xt GRP to the same dimensions as the book chassis so if you have a book chassis you can fit the Velocity Xt GRP to it, so you can have a wide choice of engines.

Keep on building, all the best The Luego Team.

ned

posted on 29/8/03 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
is the velocity xt bodywork taller than the book version, to accomodate these engines?

I'll probably need a bulge or taller bodywork at some point...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.