Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Expansion tank set up
the moa 2

posted on 28/7/07 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Expansion tank set up

zx12-r cooling system set up

Nearly there with the build and thought it be an idea to fit an expansion tank and was hopeing someone could assist me in fitting it.

I have drawn a diagram below to hopefully help show how i think i should do it.

My car has a ZX12-R engine with a Electric water pump , polo radiator, alloy header tank with a Stant high pressure rad cap.

I was planning on just running my overflow pressure release pipe from my header tank to the expansion tank, is this correct ?

nitram38

posted on 28/7/07 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
What you need is a T in your bottom hose that goes to the bottom of the header tank and the small hose that you show should be to the top of the header tank.
No expansion tank required.
You have connected the entire header to the same side of the water pump so you will not get any flow through it.

Make sure that the header tank is the highest part of the system too!

Where is the engine in your diagram?

[Edited on 28/7/2007 by nitram38]

RazMan

posted on 28/7/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
You might not need to run the expansion tank at all. I have a similar setup and just have the header tank (running half full) connected to the feed side of the EWP, giving it a constant head of water. 6k miles later I haven't had any cooling problems.

*edit*
Have you got any form of temp control for the pump? It will be going flat out all the time - why not ditch the engine thermostat and install the Davies Craig jobbie - it will give the EWP an easier life and release a few more horses too.

[Edited on 28-7-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the moa 2

posted on 28/7/07 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I hate drawing diagrams and thought it be easier to just draw the engine thermostat which is situated on the engine probably confused things though as i have actuallt taken out the mechanical thermostat and replaced it with the Davis Craig adjustable thermostat.

Everyone keeps saying no expansion tank required and yet i remember reading on here somewhere that an expansion is a must for a track car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.