Board logo

Locost In-Car Toolkit
daveb666 - 20/11/13 at 12:11 PM

Over winter I'll be adding some boot storage to my Locost for many reasons, but mainly so I have some storage for some tools.

I've bought myself a small toolbox and this weekend will be buying all the necessary items to fill it with!

So far I've got on my shopping list:

Insulation Tape
Cable Ties
Long Nose/Short Nose Pliers
Set of Allen keys
6 Screwdrivers of varying sizes - 3 slot, 3 Cross
Set of ring/open spanners (probably 11Nr going from 6-19mm)
LED Torch/Miners Light

Anything else I should consider take? (without getting too silly)

mookaloid - 20/11/13 at 12:20 PM

small cheapo multimeter, some terminals, scotch loks, spare cable, fuses

nick205 - 20/11/13 at 12:25 PM

tow strap

Ben_Copeland - 20/11/13 at 12:26 PM

If you can squeeze a small socket set in there, it's much easier to work with them

mcerd1 - 20/11/13 at 12:43 PM

duct tape - you'd be amazed how many things can be 'fixed' with it

even seen someone make a CV boot out of it with a couple of cable ties after a breakdown a few hundred miles from home - and they claimed it got them all the way home

Energizer LED head torches are quite good (got one out of tesco the other day for ~£4)

if you get a small socket set (1/4" drive) with some screwdriver bits then you don't need the carry all the different screwdrivers
(but keep a couple of flat ones to use as levers )

[Edited on 20/11/2013 by mcerd1]

owelly - 20/11/13 at 12:52 PM

Breakdown recovery card.

NigeEss - 20/11/13 at 01:07 PM

A hammer.

All tool kits should have at a minimum, a hammer and duct tape.

adithorp - 20/11/13 at 02:46 PM

Gaffer tape, hammer, condom... If you can't fix it with the first 2 then...

atm92484 - 20/11/13 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
even seen someone make a CV boot out of it with a couple of cable ties after a breakdown a few hundred miles from home - and they claimed it got them all the way home

When one of my fender stays cracked, duct tape did a nice job keeping the fender attached to the car. Definitely a must-have item.

renetom - 20/11/13 at 06:04 PM

Hi
You are not going to do any substantial repairs at the roadside
a AA or? get you home service.
a tow rope if you want to call a friend.
a screwdriver magnetic with varied bits
a multitool.
insulating tape & a few connectors.
No need for spanners 4 post lift kitchen sink etc.
a sledge hammer to smash the F....in thing to bits.

Dave Bailey - 20/11/13 at 06:35 PM

Bus fare!

gremlin1234 - 20/11/13 at 06:56 PM

umbrella or plastic poncho
the evil tyre weld
if including a socket set I would go 3/8th drive, and include a spark plug spanner
dayglow / reflective vest.

jacko - 20/11/13 at 07:09 PM

Trailer to put it all in
I take a rac recovery card and a mobile

Bladerunner - 20/11/13 at 07:23 PM

From past experience a gallon can of petrol, I have run out twice on long runs.

StevieB - 20/11/13 at 07:26 PM

When I did the same thing for my motorbike, I gave the bike a full service and put all the tools in a pile, then worked my way through them seeking ways to make things smaller/lighter/more compact.

I've ended up with a tool kit that with the exception of a couple of larger tools, can take the whole bike apart including the engine, but fits into a Kriega tool roll. Add some spare spark plugs, tyre slime, co2 canisters and wiring/fuses/connectors and its been perfect. Cable ties are a pretty good shout too, as is Duck Tape.

From experience, the thing most likely you leave you stranded at the road side is a puncture or electrical fault. Anything else will invariably require you to carry a stack of spare parts with you, so only take enough tools to access and repair electrical bits and tyres and add an AA card to your wallet.

The only reason I carry the tools I do on the bike is that I do some big bike rally challenge events and if you break down on that in the middle of a forestry block and nowhere near a point of recovery, you really are Donald Ducked.

bi22le - 20/11/13 at 11:20 PM

Jubalie ties
Spare clutch cable
Spare cable inner
Screw fit cable nipples
Sharp knife
20pound note in a sealed bag

All things I have in mine