Board logo

Seat mounting suggestions
pmc_3 - 8/2/18 at 04:59 PM

Currently in the GTM I have some MX5 seats which fit nicely but as the bottom of the seat is curved they had to be sat on some spacers to sit flat. They work well but you sit a little higher than I would like.

I've bought some Corbeau seats (which I may or may not use, undecided until i've tried them in the car) which don't have as deep a base so should mean driving position will be lower down.

The holes drilled for the MX5 seats in the floor are 350mm apart and the mounting holes for the Corbeau ones are 280mm apart. I don't want to drill more holes in the floor.

I was wondering about bolting two bits of 400mm x 20mm x 3mm mild steel flat to the seat and bolting the runners to that but didn't know if it would bend? I've got a little height to play with so also thought about using some unequal box section something like 30mm x 20mm x 2mm but wasn't sure if bolting through one side of the 2mm wall would be strong enough.

Suggestions welcome!

Photos for reference

2017-06-0 3 20.46.21 by Pete Clayton, on Flickr

2018-01-3 1 19.14.56 by Pete Clayton, on Flickr

[Edited on 8/2/18 by pmc_3]

nick205 - 8/2/18 at 05:07 PM

Mounting the seats in my MK Indy I fabricated some mounting frames from 20mm box section and angle iron. This allowed me to use the steel straps in the Indy chassis to secure the seats. Only added 20mm to the height of the seat and worked well. I can't find a photo unfortunately, but it might allow you to re-space between the seat and chassis mounting holes.

obfripper - 8/2/18 at 06:56 PM

I used 20mm box to get from my original seat mounting bolts to the new seat runners, i didn't want to drill more holes in the floor and the seats needed to be raised up to clear the tunnel when sliding. I left them at full runner length to spread the load evenly on the alloy floor.
Here's a few pics to give the general idea, i didn't take any of the adaptors on their own.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rt12nga2zefy7t1/AAC8JKsgbb-3Xe1cfVAbZAmXa?dl=0

Dave

[Edited on 8/2/18 by obfripper]

gremlin1234 - 8/2/18 at 07:11 PM

quote:
I was wondering about bolting two bits of 400mm x 20mm x 3mm mild steel flat to the seat and bolting the runners to that but didn't know if it would bend? I've got a little height to play with so also thought about using some unequal box section something like 30mm x 20mm x 2mm but wasn't sure if bolting through one side of the 2mm wall would be strong enough.

Suggestions welcome!
how about 3/4 exterior ply

nick205 - 9/2/18 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:

Suggestions welcome!
how about 3/4 exterior ply

Annoyed that I can't find a photo of the frame I made. 20x20x2mm mild steel box section and 20x20x2mm mild steel angle iron. IIRC I use M8 cap head bolts to secure the frame to the chassis and the same to secure the seats to the frame. The seats themselves had an upholstered fibreglass shell - I suspect the bolts would have pulled through the fibreglass shell before the mild steel frame.

Angel Acevedo - 11/2/18 at 02:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
I used 20mm box to get from my original seat mounting bolts to the new seat runners, i didn't want to drill more holes in the floor and the seats needed to be raised up to clear the tunnel when sliding. I left them at full runner length to spread the load evenly on the alloy floor.
Here's a few pics to give the general idea, i didn't take any of the adaptors on their own.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rt12nga2zefy7t1/AAC8JKsgbb-3Xe1cfVAbZAmXa?dl=0

Dave

[Edited on 8/2/18 by obfripper]

I Was planning to use small blocks under the bolts, but like your idea better.
Which ally thickness did you use for your floor?
Mine is 2.4 mm (i think)