Board logo

Driving LHD car in the UK. Headlights?
sebastiaan - 9/7/15 at 07:43 AM

Hi,

I'm cofused! (which happens quite a lot....)

Tomorrow, I'll be driving in the UK to pick up some parts in a newish (2011) Renault. Do I need some kind of "beam deflectors" or stickers on my headlights or is that a thing of the past? The car's got OEM HID's.

Thanks!
Sebastiaan

jossey - 9/7/15 at 07:50 AM

Yes just beam deflectors and make sure your car reg has the country code or a sticker at the rear.

Quinten - 9/7/15 at 07:50 AM

Check your owners manual, as you may have a switch on the units to adjust the beam. If not, it will say that you need beam deflectors. If you're not driving at night/evening, you can get away with not bothering, but for the sake of a few euros...

Grimsdale - 9/7/15 at 08:43 AM

Really? i thought lhd cars dipped up/down rather then left, although i don't know how it changes with HIDs etc.

sebastiaan - 9/7/15 at 08:53 AM

Thanks. I think the beams acutally kick up to the right, so I guess I need to do something...

r1_pete - 9/7/15 at 10:42 AM

I'm pretty sure the normal beam deflectors don't work with HID or Projectors, but check with the supplier.

luke2152 - 9/7/15 at 01:26 PM

Beam deflectors work on anything. They are just glorified stickers that block off the high/right part of the beam.
Quite a few newish cars have an option to make the beam flat electronically for traveling to where you drive on the other side of the channel. Older ones often have a manual lever inside the headlight to do the same purpose as the beam deflector.
Police are unlikely to know/care about your lights if you choose to do nothing but its not very nice for others if you do end up out at night.

sebastiaan - 13/7/15 at 06:15 PM

Sorted and back home. Thanks guys!