Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dumpers
woodster

posted on 15/11/12 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Dumpers

Hi guys as this is the font of all knowledge and I can't find a definitive answer on the web ...... Can a site dumper be driven on the road, I've seen quite a few on the road that don't have lights or number plates ? ..... If you could help you'd be doing me a huge favour .
minitici

posted on 15/11/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Googled and found this:
http://webcommunities.hse.gov.uk/connect.ti/construction/view?objectId=317387

woodster

posted on 15/11/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply , I found that after I posted on here i guess it must be right it's on the HSE web forum and it makes sense really the ones you see on the roads around road works don't have number plates and lights ..... The reason I ask is I'm running a job at the moment at work and the contractor doing the work for me is running his dumper a short distance up a quiet side road, some jobs worth above me has asked the question and I desperately need to get my story right .
austin man

posted on 15/11/12 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
surely any vehicle using the highway unless it is cordoned off i.e roadworks would need to comply with the relevant highway code and require to hold appropriate insurance licence and road worthiness regardless of the length of the road

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

coozer

posted on 15/11/12 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
If they used on the public road they must be road registered and insured. Same for everyone innit!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

v8kid

posted on 16/11/12 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
No! We can use tractors and quads on road without logbook, tax or lights but must have insurance. It is limited to the immediate roads but exactly what that is goodness only knows. However you wouldn't want to go far on one of these things anyhow. Don't need crash helmets either.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 16/11/12 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
A grey area I belive as this is classed as plant . My answer would be if the contractor has insurance to use it and a qualified experinced driver you should be ok. If you were doing it properly or the task is going on for a while a risk assesment maybe a good idea.

REgards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

woodster

posted on 16/11/12 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
A grey area I belive as this is classed as plant . My answer would be if the contractor has insurance to use it and a qualified experinced driver you should be ok. If you were doing it properly or the task is going on for a while a risk assesment maybe a good idea.

REgards

Agriv8

I've checked all those this morning and all off them are in place ..... thank you for your help

Regards

David

bigbravedave

posted on 16/11/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
All the backhoe loaders and dumpers that we have are road registered, taxed, and covered by the companies insurance.

We order them with RTA kits which includes number plate boards lights etc.

If we need to move any earth moving vehicles on the road that arn't registered we have to hang trade plates off the buckets.

you see alot of unregistered site kit, but usually it operates on a private site.

Because of the nature of a lot of this equipment and the opertunitiy for things to go so sadly wrong, I wouldn't operate it unless its 100% legal, just to cover my own back.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/11/12 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
simple answer is no you should not be on the road without lights or insurance. Given the weight, shape and strength of site vehicles you can easily end up with a very serious accident or even a fatality if a car hits you hard then you are really up sh%t creak if you are not legal, just not worth the risk. I remember crashing the work transit into a dumper and caved in the whole passenger side but only put a shallow cut in the dumpers tyre! We have a non road legal Massy backhoe that has to be transported on a low loader when taking it to different sites, fortunately that doesn’t happen a lot
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.