Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with Type 9 clutch suggestion please
retrosleeper

posted on 23/9/16 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Help with Type 9 clutch suggestion please

Hi all,

Looking for some help with clutch selection please. Does not need to be anything fancy as power is not big so looking for something off the shelf if possible.

I have a flywheel and clutch cover but need the clutch plate itself.
It’s a type 9 pattern so 1" x 23 spline
It needs to be 220mm overall diameter  
However the one I tried, the mk1 mondeo cutch is not suitable as the hole in the clutch cover is only 135mm and the mondeo clutch centre is too large with not enough friction material.
the clutch plate will need to fit a 135mm max centre so around 40mm friction material width

So I need a clutch like the picture below but with the type 9 pattern so 1" x 23 spline. You will see the mondeo clutch on the right and the width of the friction material is not as much as the one in the photo, the one in the photo has the wrong spline pattern though.

Thank you for any help.

mark chandler

posted on 23/9/16 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Mardis gras Motorsport will make you up a driven plate to your specifications, not that expensive either.
adithorp

posted on 23/9/16 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
There's known flywheel, cover, plate and release bearing combo's that are commonly used. Sorry I don't know them but the search facility should throw up any number of threads with the possible solutions.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

obfripper

posted on 23/9/16 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
The correct pressure plate and drive plate should be for a 1.8 mk1 mondeo 93-96 with mtx75 gearbox and is 220mm diameter.
The plate on the right looks like a focus 1.4/1.6 item, has someone picked the wrong part at the dealers for you?
A capri release bearing cct132 should give the correct throw with the mondeo pressure plate, you'll have to work out which release bearing works correctly with the pressure plate you have if you get just a drive plate.

Dave

retrosleeper

posted on 23/9/16 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
hi guys, i would but i am using the Sigma 1600 engine which is different and as I have the flywheel that came with the engine and everything else i was trying to see if there is an off the shelf item i could use. before I get to the more power stage and look at upgraded flywheel and clutch.

thanks for the suggestions so far though.

obfripper

posted on 23/9/16 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Your existing cover with a sierra 2.0 pinto drive plate(8.5"/215mm) should do the job, i suspect the correct mondeo drive plate will also work with your pressure plate.

Dave

owelly

posted on 23/9/16 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think I used a 218mm Focus plate. Or call RG Motorsport. They custom built me a friction plate for £20. Then remade it when I'd given them the wrong dimensions!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
19sac65

posted on 24/9/16 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Early mondeo 16/1800 drive plate is 220mm
Be careful of a pinto one , linings may be too thick as the mondeo pressure plates are 'low lift'

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.