Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Race Series suitable for a Phoenix
OwenSP

posted on 9/10/18 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Race Series suitable for a Phoenix

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of info on eligible race series for my Phoenix, I've had a look on the 'Race' section but not found a suitable one. My Phoenix has a standard 2.0 zetec running twin 45 webbers. Anyone know of a suitable option? I know the 750mc has the 1800cc sport specials option but I'd rather not have to change engines! And having seen a few races the chaps in those classes seem to spend most of the race staying out of the way of faster cars by the looks of it, it'd be nice to be competitive if possible! I'd also be interested in some eligible sprint/hillclimbs series.

Thanks!
Owen

bi22le

posted on 9/10/18 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Are there any CSCC classes?

For example, if it was a se7en you would fit in the magnificent seven race. Again though, all classes are bunched together so be prepared to be skinned by £60k 280+bhp caterhams.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

HowardB

posted on 9/10/18 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
750 MC?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Paul_Arion

posted on 9/10/18 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Does your car have a full MSA compliant cage? This may well restrict your circuit racing options. Sprints and hill climbs may be your best option and you can at least have a chance to be competitive without spending mega-money
JimSpencer

posted on 10/10/18 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Can't honestly think of a Championship where your car, in it's current spec, would be 'front of the grid' competitive.
However there's a few where you should be competitive in a class - Castle Combe GT Championship is the one that springs to mind local ish to you.

For Hillclimb and Sprint I'd suggest having a look at the Hillclimb & Sprint Associations own championship, it's National B (So it's dead simple to get a licence) it goes all over the country with loads of rounds (circa 30) - but only has around a third count to your championship (9 IIRC)- so you can put together a calendar to suit where you want to travel too.
They get to go to some very good venue's too, a full mix of hills, sprint venues and race circuits.

HTH

Andy D

posted on 10/10/18 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I know the 750mc has the 1800cc sport specials option but I'd rather not have to change engines!

As far as I know the 750mc Sport Specials are now classed by power to weight.

From 2018 regs:

5.2: GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The SPORT SPECIALS CHAMPIONSHIP is for Competitors participating in Roadgoing two-seater sports specials with a defined maximum power to weight ratio (Power at flywheel and weight including driver with helmet, overalls etc). Normally aspirated engines only (except MX150R to appendix A in Class C), limited slip differentials permitted, no 4 wheel drive. All vehicles must be of sound construction and mechanical condition and be well maintained. There is no requirement for an MOT Certificate, Road Tax or Insurance. Cars will run in three classes:-
Class A: 340bhp/tonne.
Class B: 270bhp/tonne.
Class C: MX150R to appendix A.
These classes are intended to encompass a variety of cars, including ‘one-off’ specials, Caterhams with a maximum power to weight ratio of 340 or 270bhp/tonne dependant on class (Power at flywheel and weight including driver with helmet, overalls etc) subject to the approval of the Championship Organisers and MX150R cars to appendix A.

OwenSP

posted on 14/10/18 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies gents, some great info there and I'll be looking into the various options.

Andy that does look correct, 750mc regulations have changed which is a nice surprise and means my phoenix could also be competitive. Paul, it doesn't yet but will do before long

Trigger1

posted on 15/10/18 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Does sports specials allow motorbike engines as well? It says n/a only but doesn't mention car only engines? Sometimes they say if it's not in the rules then assume it's not allowed.
OwenSP

posted on 15/10/18 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Trigger, off the top of my head I don't think so as they have a bike engined series already. That said if it fits in the class brackets it may be ok, worth giving them a call I'd say
quote:
Originally posted by Trigger1
Does sports specials allow motorbike engines as well? It says n/a only but doesn't mention car only engines? Sometimes they say if it's not in the rules then assume it's not allowed.

Trigger1

posted on 15/10/18 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OwenSP
Trigger, off the top of my head I don't think so as they have a bike engined series already. That said if it fits in the class brackets it may be ok, worth giving them a call I'd say
quote:

Thanks, I will do.

Andy D

posted on 15/10/18 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

From the regs, page 4
All engines must be based on series production car engines; forced induction is not permitted in any class except Class C MX150R to appendix A.

http://www.750mc.co.uk/ugc-1/1/1/0/2018_final_regulations_-_sport_speci.pdf

Trigger1

posted on 16/10/18 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
quote:

From the regs, page 4
All engines must be based on series production car engines; forced induction is not permitted in any class except Class C MX150R to appendix A.

http://www.750mc.co.uk/ugc-1/1/1/0/2018_final_regulations_-_sport_speci.pdf

Thanks for that, looks like I need to look elsewhere.

procomp

posted on 16/10/18 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. For what you have as a car the 750 Sports specials will be perfect.

Class A. has various cars with mostly 220Hp - 240Hp engines ranging from Zetec to Honda
Class B. is cars with mostly 170Hp - 190Hp ranging from Zetec to Mazda. The current class limit for class B is 1840cc to allow the mazda unit in, However we are currently trying to get the limit raised to 2000cc to allow std 2ltr zetec engines in with 180 ish Hp as at moment it kind of excludes cars with 2ltr std tune and forces them into Class A which gets more expensive and much higher state of tune.

The regulations will be having some minor tweaks over winter to try keep costs down but no major changes as such.

If interested give me a U2U and ill pass you a contact number for Nigel who is the drivers Rep and will give you a very clear idea of all things 750mc sports specials.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cosmicicecreamman

posted on 17/10/18 at 03:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp

The regulations will be having some minor tweaks over winter to try keep costs down but no major changes as such.

Any appetite to allow sequential gearboxes? I know they go against the ethos of keeping costs down but would like to try a few rounds but my car runs a sequential box so currently not allowed in the regs.

Many thanks

Stephen

procomp

posted on 19/10/18 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
There where people running sequential boxes ILLEGALLY, mainly the tiger race cars. But plans are to Completely ban the sequential boxes and the traction control that was unknowingly slipped in to regs.
If wanting to run sequential box etc then its MAG Sevens championship and run in the appropriate class. But big wallets rule in that championship with front running cars costing 120K.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Trigger1

posted on 19/10/18 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I assume a 919cc fisher fury with circa 130bhp would not be competitive in mag 7?
Andy D

posted on 20/10/18 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I assume a 919cc fisher fury with circa 130bhp would not be competitive in mag 7?

I don't know for certain, but I've never seen a full bodied car in Mag 7s. I think it's "seven" shaped carsonly. In practice it's 99% Caterhams.

Andy D

posted on 20/10/18 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If wanting to run sequential box etc then its MAG Sevens championship and run in the appropriate class. But big wallets rule in that championship with front running cars costing 120K.

This one's a bargain!
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/95702/ultiimate-caterham

steve m

posted on 20/10/18 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
how can you spend 100k building a Cateringvan ?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.