Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nose cone fitting with dzus slide fasteners
RussH

posted on 19/5/19 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nose cone fitting with dzus slide fasteners

Has anyone done this? It seems like a nice solution for a quick release nose cone, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how it’s done.

Does anyone have any pics of hows they’ve fitted them?

Thanks

Duratec Westfield

40inches

posted on 19/5/19 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I hinged the bottom and fastened at the top with Dzus fasteners
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=40inches&folder=Nose%20Cone

Andy D

posted on 20/5/19 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I actually bought a pair for the same purpose Russ, but when they arrived I was surprised how small they are. Not sure I'd trust them for the nose cone job, and I cant seem to find any larger sized ones.
If they were bigger, I'd fit the bobbin part to the chassis riv-nut, and rivet the latch mechanism to the inner face of the nose cone.

Andrew.

nick205

posted on 20/5/19 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
For my MK Indy I had the lower front return lip supported on a couple of bits of threaded stud (with some ally plates over the GRP holes to strengthen it). A rivnut in the top chasis rail with a cap head bolt and penny washer either side ant that was it done. In the 3 years before I sold the car I took the nose off once to get better access to the top radiator hose. Other than that I never found any need to remove the nose. Cheap and simple job to fit and then left in place.

40inches hinged solution does looks a neat approach though!

jps

posted on 20/5/19 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
For my MK Indy I had the lower front return lip supported on a couple of bits of threaded stud (with some ally plates over the GRP holes to strengthen it). A rivnut in the top chasis rail with a cap head bolt and penny washer either side ant that was it done. In the 3 years before I sold the car I took the nose off once to get better access to the top radiator hose. Other than that I never found any need to remove the nose. Cheap and simple job to fit and then left in place.

I'm planning to do the same, but my GRP doesn't fully overlap the chassis rails - did you yours? I have wondered how well the penny washer will retain it if it doesnt' fully overlap...

nick205

posted on 20/5/19 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

I'm planning to do the same, but my GRP doesn't fully overlap the chassis rails - did you yours? I have wondered how well the penny washer will retain it if it doesnt' fully overlap...

The MK supplied GRP bodywork did fully overlap the chassis rails. I used the penny washers to spread the load and avoid the bolt head damaging or pulling through the GRP. If you don't have a full overlap it may not have the strength. You might get away with rivetting some ally plates to the GRP to improve the strength of the joint between GRP and chassis.

RussH

posted on 26/5/19 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, pics required for the hard of thinking...

Duratec Westfield

overdriver

posted on 26/5/19 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Russ,

The nose cone on my Tiger is hinged at the bottom and secured by a Dzus fastener each side. The fastener locates to an angled bracket which is bolted to the chassis rail.

As you may know, uploading photos on this site is fraught with difficulty but I'm going to try posting a Google album link:-

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6aDmuSX933S11C2N7

If this hasn't worked U2U me and I can send you pics via email.

Michael.

steve m

posted on 26/5/19 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
My 7 has three Dzus fittings, two on the bottom, and one on the rhs fitting that is under the bonnet
the left hand side one broke years ago, and ive never replaced it, as the bonnet, that is clamped over the fittings, helps keep the nosein place

Aircraft have had these fittings for many years, and they exceed an awful lot MPH, than any car we make

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

CosKev3

posted on 26/5/19 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've used two slide latches on each side at the top of nosecone,then a bracket on the front at bottom with one M6 bolt in it
joedredd

posted on 26/8/19 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I hinged the bottom and fastened at the top with Dzus fasteners
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=40inches&folder=Nose%20Cone

Thanks for sharing. I bought some Dzus fasteners for this purpose over 10 years ago and never got around to fitting them, you've given me inspiration to sort it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.