Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wet Race Tryes
cfc999

posted on 21/10/20 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Wet Race Tryes

Planning on doing a few sprints/track days/hillclimb in my bike engine powered striker next year. Got a decent set of dry/intermediate tyres. Can anyone recommend a decent wet weather tyre for my 13x5.5 inch alloy.
Cheers

peter030371

posted on 22/10/20 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
What are your 'dry' tyres? I have done very wet track days on Toyo r888r and they are reasonable. I am not sure a 'full wet' will make that much difference unless you go for proper race wets with a suitable compound.
cfc999

posted on 22/10/20 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Not 100% sure to be honest without looking. If you look at my archive pics you can see my tyres. From past experience some of the hill climbs I've done have been extremely wet with lots of standing water so just thought having a better wet option might be a good idea.
loggyboy

posted on 22/10/20 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
If its very wet then a good brand of road tyre is usually the best idea. For a light car the Uniroyal Rainsports get raved about, especially for value, they only dont like heavy cars due to soft walls.
If its just damp then a very soft cut slick will work best - Avon ZZRs are a good cold/damp tyre.

Mistral Motorsport

peter030371

posted on 22/10/20 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cfc999
Not 100% sure to be honest without looking. If you look at my archive pics you can see my tyres. From past experience some of the hill climbs I've done have been extremely wet with lots of standing water so just thought having a better wet option might be a good idea.

It looks like the tyres in your pictures are Yoko A032R...I suspect they are very old as they have not been made in 'our' sizes for several years and will be rock hard now

If you have money to spend on tyres then I would replace these first (that leads to another question, what tyres for 'dry' use) What 'list' tyres do you expected to run in? If you are in a Motorsport UK event then you will need to pick from this document (see 1a, 1b or 1c) https://www.motorsportuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/196-206permittedtyresl-1.pdf

The other problem with wet tyres is if you don't use them they still age and still need to be replaced every 2-3 years or no point having them IMHO.

peter030371

posted on 22/10/20 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
If its very wet then a good brand of road tyre is usually the best idea. For a light car the Uniroyal Rainsports get raved about, especially for value, they only dont like heavy cars due to soft walls.
If its just damp then a very soft cut slick will work best - Avon ZZRs are a good cold/damp tyre.

I think ZZR tyres are list 1c now, many sprints are 1b (or 1a).

cfc999

posted on 22/10/20 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding my tyres they do seem a little on the hard side so yes you’re probably right , they are well past there sell buy date.
My car isn’t registered for the road and I was actually planning doing a Javaline sprint or track day until the covid kicked in.
I think they were running a class for bike engined kit car less than 150bhp running road legal tyres which would have suited my car perfectly. So maybe better looking for some tyres with that in mind.

peter030371

posted on 22/10/20 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Regarding my tyres they do seem a little on the hard side so yes you’re probably right , they are well past there sell buy date.
My car isn’t registered for the road and I was actually planning doing a Javaline sprint or track day until the covid kicked in.
I think they were running a class for bike engined kit car less than 150bhp running road legal tyres which would have suited my car perfectly. So maybe better looking for some tyres with that in mind.

For Javelin they just need to be 'e' marked i.e. road legal and that is list 1a, 1b or 1c

Several on here have run in Javelin so maybe they are better placed to comment. I was entered in the first round this year in my Striker (on Toyo r888r tyres) but that never happened...maybe next year

kingster996

posted on 23/10/20 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
If you can find them, Avon CR28 are excellent list 1b wet tyres.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

jeffw

posted on 23/10/20 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
CR28 Sport are very good 'Wet' tyres but you will very rarely use them. Good inters are a better bet.
cfc999

posted on 25/10/20 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Are nankang ns2r worth considering and a budget alternative
obfripper

posted on 25/10/20 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Are nankang ns2r worth considering and a budget alternative

I found them ok in the wet, not quite as good as r888(r) or ar-1 providing there was no standing water, and better with standing water although not up to proper race wet levels.

The yoko a021r's were always pretty good in the wet, however they're no longer 'e' marked, so i don't know how they stand in regards to the blue book permitted lists.

Dave

[Edited on 26/10/20 by obfripper]

JimSpencer

posted on 26/10/20 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi, the tyre of choice for your car/class is generally the Extreme VR2 (inc. the NK) in W3 compound - especially if it's a track car that just needs 'road legal' tyres - if it was going to be driven on the road you'd probably go up a compound.

They also do a full wet version of that which is the VR3
but
That's not on the list (if you were to do a MSUK event) however one would assume it's Ok for Javelin and certainly fine for track days etc

If I was tacking the Road Going Kits class very seriously.. then I'd have a set of both.. but if I was digging my Striker out to have a fun weekend's sport then it'd be a set of the former and a 'If I need a full wet I'd be better off waiting for a later run or heading to the Café approach..

peter030371

posted on 27/10/20 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer
Hi, the tyre of choice for your car/class is generally the Extreme VR2 (inc. the NK) in W3 compound - especially if it's a track car that just needs 'road legal' tyres

Are these actually available in 13"? Everytime I have looked they have been on backorder with no confirmed delivery date. It looks like they take orders until they have enough for a batch to build them.

JimSpencer

posted on 27/10/20 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371Are these actually available in 13"? Everytime I have looked they have been on backorder with no confirmed delivery date. It looks like they take orders until they have enough for a batch to build them.

Yes but apparently it's exactly that - what you don't do is wait until just before you want them to order a set

To be fair it was exactly the same when I was running my striker in the midland speed and the tyre of choice was the ZZR in A24..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.