Board logo

Wanted - headlight alignment for SVA photo
Jumpy Guy - 10/9/09 at 08:39 AM

One of my SVA fails was the beam pattern shape on my headlights. I bought them so long ago, i cant remember who from...

They're the small, matt black ones. My profile pic shows them fitted.

I've seen a previous post with a pic etc showing how the lens was rotated to get the correct beam pattern.

Despite an hour of searching the site, i cant find it....

can anyone else help?

Cheers

[Edited on 10/9/09 by Jumpy Guy]

MikeCapon - 10/9/09 at 08:46 AM

Is this what you're looking for?

Jumpy Guy - 10/9/09 at 09:05 AM

thanks for this. Its useful , but not the post i was thinking of.

Someone had posted a pic showing the lamp, with the notch cut out and the amount of rotation.

While im here, mine are exactly like those, but without any CE marking on the lens, which the examiner commented on... do i need the CE mark?

f1ngers - 10/9/09 at 09:12 AM

Assuming you are going for a SVA retest you might want to borrow some headlights as rotating the lens may be a fail.
My experience at SVA was that beam alignment passed but when the SVA tester looked closely at the headlights he failed them as the lens had been rotated and 'were not installed as the manufacturer intended'
They are different headlights to yours fitted with LHD lenses. The tester stated that they would pass an MOT as the MOT test only checks the beam alignment.

Jumpy Guy - 10/9/09 at 09:17 AM

hmm thats not good news...

Can i buy dominator syle lamps that are SVA legal? anyone done this?

I would prefer the dominator style, since this would allow me to chaneg just the lenses, rather than the complete mounting and rewiring

contaminated - 10/9/09 at 10:47 AM

There have been a few on this - try looking for headlight posts which feature Russbost heavily. I saw one post where they went through SVA with the mod and another where the mod was done and the SVA guy said that a flat beam pattern was ok and they need not have bothered! Clearly it varies depending on who you get.

Werner Van Loock - 10/9/09 at 11:04 AM

This?

Dominator beam pattern
Dominator beam pattern

dan__wright - 10/9/09 at 11:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by contaminated
There have been a few on this - try looking for headlight posts which feature Russbost heavily. I saw one post where they went through SVA with the mod and another where the mod was done and the SVA guy said that a flat beam pattern was ok and they need not have bothered! Clearly it varies depending on who you get.

that was me who made the mod only for the sva tester to tilt his head to read the writing on the lense and give me a funny look and ask why they were like that, i explained and he say flat deam was fine and the mod wasnt needed.

Werner Van Loock - 10/9/09 at 11:15 AM

few linky's

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=95802&page=1
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=95285
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=90113

Jumpy Guy - 10/9/09 at 12:19 PM

Thanks a lot for the links. Will look through them tonight

So, if I need to modify the lens angle, does anyone have a pic or measurements of where to cut the new groove?

greed1 - 12/9/09 at 06:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
"Does the mod mean that if turned the other way they can be used for european dip too? (living in belgium you know) "

Yes, the manufacturer describes the beam as "flat" but as you can see from the pics on the other thread the beam is actually a very low angle "V", hence rotate 15 degrees one way (requires a small indent to be filed into the retaining ring) for left hand dip & the other way for right hand dip. You appreciate I obviously cannot guarantee acceptance for SVA, MoT or the equivalent in other countries, but to the very best of my knowledge & belief I can see no reason why not.
When I discussed these ights with VOSA at the SVA station at Chelmsford (I have the guys name & date I spoke to him if anyone wants it) they said that the exact markings on the glass were unimportant, providing the beam pattern met the requirements on the beam setter which, for this particular aspect of the test are identical to MoT requirements.

found it in the first link hope this helps

Jumpy Guy - 19/9/09 at 09:00 PM

quick update -

got new E marked lenses and fitted them

Passed SVA, BUT the examiner was not very happy with the beam pattern

Took a bit of fiddling, moving etc

even then, he grudgingly let it go

not the triumphant result i had hoped for, but i passed.........