Board logo

Is this allowed ?
Ben_Copeland - 27/5/04 at 10:18 AM

My harnesses seem to be a little too long for mounting directly onto the top bar. So is this allowed ?
The bar fitted to the roll bar, is above the SVA minimum... but the actually mounting point of the harness isn't. Is that the thing thats gonna make this a no-no ?

Harness Side
Harness Side

Harness Front
Harness Front

locoboy - 27/5/04 at 02:34 PM

Ben,

I think Peteff has done somthing along those lines, check out his archive.

isnt it often done this way in rally cars over one of the roll cage bars?

Ben_Copeland - 27/5/04 at 02:36 PM

I know rally cars are done something like it... Dont know if SVA will allow it tho... or do rally cars have a SVA too ?

Had a look at Peteff's his are mounted underneath the cross bar... his mountings will still be above minimum height ?!?!?!?

[Edited on 27/5/04 by Ben_Copeland]

zetec - 27/5/04 at 02:56 PM

I can't see why not. If you are allowed to route belts thru harness holes in seats, and these holes can act as a fixing points then I would have thought your set up would be a lot stronger.

Ben_Copeland - 27/5/04 at 03:00 PM

The only thing i'm worried about is the SVA bloke turning round a saying, your top mounting point is lower than the minimum... Think i'll just go for it and see what happens..

Cheers guys

Peteff - 27/5/04 at 03:14 PM

As long as it pulls across the bolt, in shear and doesn't chafe them it will be alright. The crossmember will be the height they work on unless you route them through a seat which then takes precedence.

Kitlooney1000 - 27/5/04 at 08:42 PM

I did the same with 3 point harness's, went through the SVA no problem, Mind you, the metal buckle where the belt splits into 2 was on the roll bar