Board logo

iva friday 13th
ashg - 11/4/12 at 10:20 AM

Am I mad? got the iva for the exocet this Friday 13th. personally I'm not worried but would it put any of you guys off? discuss

iank - 11/4/12 at 10:27 AM

No, and good luck

loggyboy - 11/4/12 at 10:30 AM

Is it booked in at 13:13?

HowardB - 11/4/12 at 10:42 AM

Friday 13th is my lucky day!

Schadenfreude - says so

mookaloid - 11/4/12 at 11:11 AM

It's all in the mind - go and enjoy it and it will be fine

Daddylonglegs - 11/4/12 at 12:42 PM

Sod superstition! Good luck

At least it's not in Gillingham

[Edited on 11/4/12 by Daddylonglegs]

ashg - 11/4/12 at 01:57 PM

Actually it is at Gillingham

RichardK - 11/4/12 at 02:37 PM

Good luck mate,I'm sure you won't need it though.

Take care

Rich

Daddylonglegs - 11/4/12 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
Actually it is at Gillingham

Be afraid, be very afraid!!

doughie - 11/4/12 at 03:34 PM

enjoy - let us know how u get on!

ashg - 11/4/12 at 05:44 PM

Been there before know the tester hence know what to expect. what is it they say..... better the devil you know

stevegough - 11/4/12 at 05:48 PM

Pictures are compulsory prior to IVA, Ashley.

Daddylonglegs - 11/4/12 at 06:01 PM

He's got a point mate Piccies are a must

shaft - 11/4/12 at 08:26 PM

My lucky number is 13.... and also this Fri 13th is my 40th!!

Simon - 11/4/12 at 08:56 PM

Me and the missus started going out on Fri 13th March (1987) - hasn't done us any harm. Well, me anyway

I SVA'd toy car at Gillingham and found the retester a bloke fab. The orig was a grumpy old twat who'd just returned from sick leave, and should have made everyone's lives better by going back on s/l.

ATB

Simon

BobM - 11/4/12 at 09:26 PM

All the best for Friday. Look on it as a learning experience rather than a threat and be nice - the testers are human beings and if you can establish a rapport with the guy it could stand you in good stead.

bonzoronnie - 12/4/12 at 09:08 AM

You must be stark raving bonkers Ash

I don't even get out of the bed on Friday the 13th

Oh Hang on a mo, that's the crap I tell the wife so as I can have a lazy day

Seriously Ash
The very best of luck for tomorrows IVA test.

Not that an old hand like you needs any luck

richard - 12/4/12 at 06:27 PM

Good luck Ash

franky - 12/4/12 at 07:18 PM

Good luck

ashg - 12/4/12 at 10:12 PM

Well that's it she is ready loaded on the trailer to set off in the morning. I took some pictures but its so dark out now that they didn't come out. fingers arms and legs.crossed for tomorrow

rdodger - 13/4/12 at 05:44 PM

Did it pass?

ashg - 13/4/12 at 06:11 PM

nope.

failed on three points

not enough travel on rear suspension. the rear springs provided in the kit were too short. so when going over a bump the top rear wishbone could hit the chassis pretty easily.

dominator style headlights also provided in the kit failed. the beam pattern was quite simply put bloody appalling (looked at it myself) they also kicked up slightly the wrong way. also the suggestion to rotate the passenger side one by ten degrees so it kicks up was a non starter as it clearly states in the manual that it is not permitted.

final one was just bad play on my part. the drivers side handbrake was really poor, and passenger side one was excellent. over lunch i had some time to readjust and managed to get it working but there was still a bit of an imbalance that i want to sort just so the car is correct.

and i missed a grommet off one of the rear lights.

so all in all really good test which i think i could have got through with on the spot repairs if the springs in and lights in the kit had been ok.

im not going to dwell on the shortcomings. in reality its an afternoons work once i get the parts i need to sort it out.

as per usual there will be a full write up in ckc going through every little intricate part of the test in very close detail.

[Edited on 13/4/2012 by ashg]

franky - 13/4/12 at 06:17 PM

quote:
nope.

failed on three points

not enough travel on rear suspension. the rear springs provided in the kit were too short. so when going over a bump the top rear wishbone could hit the chassis pretty easily.

dominator style headlights also provided in the kit failed. the beam pattern was quite simply put bloody appalling (looked at it myself) they also kicked up slightly the wrong way. also the suggestion to rotate the passenger side one by ten degrees so it kicks up was a non starter as it clearly states in the manual that it is not permitted.

final one was just bad play on my part. the drivers side handbrake was really poor, and passenger side one was excellent. over lunch i had some time to readjust and managed to get it working but there was still a bit of an imbalance that i want to sort just so the car is correct.

and i missed a grommet off one of the rear lights.

so all in all really good test which i think i could have got through with on the spot repairs if the springs in and lights in the kit had been ok.

im not going to dwell on the shortcomings. in reality its an afternoons work once i get the parts i need to sort it out.

as per usual there will be a full write up in ckc going through every little intricate part of the test in very close detail.

Well done

I know its pisses on your chips when you fail on something that you were supplied with, but it has no refection on the build. When do you think you'll take it back?

ashg - 13/4/12 at 06:24 PM

ASAP really. just depends on how long it takes to get the parts as i will be needing a set of standard mx5 rear springs and a new pair of headlights.

big_wasa - 13/4/12 at 06:30 PM

Not a bad fail and good to know about the headlights as I was going to replace mine with them.

stevegough - 13/4/12 at 06:48 PM

Ok, Ash - I think we can put this one in the 'Good Fail' classification, so well done! Shame about the coilovers - that shouldn't happen? - How have other Exocet IVAs fared in this respect?

Daddylonglegs - 17/4/12 at 11:16 AM

Well done Ash, as already said, that defintiely qualifies as a good fail . Lets hope it's sorted soon and then it can all be put behind you (just like most of the traffic on the roads )

loggyboy - 17/4/12 at 11:46 AM

quote:

I think the idea is to rotate both lenses, not the acctual light. However, its still not an ideal situation and will leave me considering other options as I wanted the neat look of dominators, but it seems they are lacking quality.

40inches - 17/4/12 at 01:17 PM

quote:

Having fitted Dominator's myself, I have just been in the garage to check them, bit of a relief to find that the dip beam pattern is flat and very well defined. Thankfully.