Board logo

Ebay Advert..is this legal
jeffw - 24/2/10 at 07:30 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sylva-Phoenix-Project-with-V5_W0QQitemZ280467739627QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item414d2e13eb

Have a read through the add (sounds an interesting car)....I wonder about the legality of using a V5 from a different car, isn't this ringing ??

Humbug - 24/2/10 at 07:39 AM

a) it's illegal to sell a V5 separate from a car

b) as you say, using the identity of another car is illegal.

Unless this is a rebuild of a car that he has a genuine V5 for, he presumably has the V5 from a Sylva Star or Leader or something and is implying you can just use that for this new car.

Ask him if the car is already IVAd and registered; if not, shop him.

EDIT: If it's a Stuart Taylor kit, then it isn;t a Sylva (even though that's where the original design came from)

[Edited on 24.02.2010 by Humbug]

r1_pete - 24/2/10 at 07:57 AM

Can't remember seeing a Pan European winning races either, but should be interesting in the car.

I'd think it would be illegal to run the car with that documentation, but I bet there are more out there who have bucked IVA/SVA and are sharing the roads with us!!

BenB - 24/2/10 at 08:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Can't remember seeing a Pan European winning races either, but should be interesting in the car.

I'd think it would be illegal to run the car with that documentation, but I bet there are more out there who have bucked IVA/SVA and are sharing the roads with us!!

The Pan Euro is very nice than you very much but yes, it's still ringing.....

Bladerunner - 24/2/10 at 01:52 PM

I was at Stuart Taylor's place a few times I saw his development work on the engine. As you say a great puller with a overdrive top gear, but the carb sat about 10 inches above the engine as is used a double choke system, not a pretty site.

Brommers - 24/2/10 at 06:42 PM

Personally I'd be more concerned about the woefully inadequate engine mount shown in the last photo on the auction page. Someone else on the road having a not-quite-properly-registered car is mildly annoying. Following someone on the road when their engine falls out is likely to be more emotional...

jeffw - 24/2/10 at 06:59 PM

lol

BenB - 25/2/10 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bladerunner
I was at Stuart Taylor's place a few times I saw his development work on the engine. As you say a great puller with a overdrive top gear, but the carb sat about 10 inches above the engine as is used a double choke system, not a pretty site.

The double weber system that they developed was (in my opinion) a way bad idea! The bike carbs are fine and a little modifying of the airbox renders adding webers unnecessary.