Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Numbers
mad4x4

posted on 17/5/04 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Numbers

OK I've read a few threads and am confused.

Here are my Questions

1) My chassis came form MK (new) and doesn't have a chassis number - Do I need one

2) Do I stamp the chassis number onto the chassis my self or is it acceptable to stamp it onto a plate "Rivited to the Chassis"

3) Where do I get a chassis number a) the old donor, b) make it up , c) MK Engineering, d) DVLA/SVA/or somewhere else.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

David Jenkins

posted on 17/5/04 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
The chassis number is irrelevant as far as the DVLA are concerned - they want a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) that is a mix of numbers and letters. This has to be stamped on the chassis in a suitable place.

I made one up and it was approved by my local DVLA man. However, other offices insist on allocating their own number - it's a local decision.

My local man wanted it stamped into the chassis, which I did - next time, I may stamp up a plate and weld it to the chassis somewhere (if they let me - it's always worth checking first).

Write to your local DVLA office - I did that, and shortly after got a phone call from their inspector. He was quite helpful and not in the least obstructive (however, this is also subjct to local variations).

David

Fifer

posted on 17/5/04 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had to get one from DVLA (local) and they would not allow me to make one up. They sent it out to me with a decleration letter which I had to get a local garage to stamp to say they stamped (or witnessed the stamping) onto the chassis.
Hellfire

posted on 17/5/04 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
We made our own up and informed the local VRO just to make sure before stamping it onto the chassis.

Advice would be to find your local VRO and give em a call. That way you won't fall foul.............. well, maybe not.

Markp

posted on 17/5/04 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I made mine up too, my local VRO said it had to be 17 digits long, I stampped it to a bit of 3mm steel and welded it on to the chassis and also stamped it on to a bit of ali and pop riveted it on to the scuttle near the battery. No one ever questioned it, I was alittle weiry when it came to the SVA but nothing was said.

As others have said, ring your local VRO, when you can get hold of them they are very helpful.

Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.