Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA compliant harnesses!!!
NS Dev

posted on 1/6/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
SVA compliant harnesses!!!

Bu55er and flip, just dug out my Luke 4 point harnesses, which were fine for clubman national rallying (and are as new), and found that they have no "E" mark (or equivalent) so no flipping good for SVA

flip flip flip!!

1) Does anybody know a way of using these

or

2) does anybody want them for a racer (well two I suppose, I have a pair!)

damn

Viper

posted on 1/6/04 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
they don't have to be e marked, just if they are then they don't need to be checked, as long as the fixtures and fittings, belt materiel, rads etc meet the requiremts then they should pass.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/6/04 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Taken from the SVA Manual...

All belts must carry at least one of the following approval markings.
A designated E mark
British Standard BSAU183:1983, for passive belt systems.
British Standard BS 3254: 1960 or BS 3254 Part 1 1988

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

NS Dev

posted on 1/6/04 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
A-ha!! nice one Viper, you may have just saved me some cash!! You are dead right!! (you need to turn the page if you have the same manual as me Ben, and also spot the little "or" at the end of the bit detailing the markings)

Yep, looks like as long as it is the same as an e-marked harness (which my Luke ones are, proper aircraft buckle 2" web with 3" contact webbing) then they are ok!

Brill!! Cheers!! Happy Nat!!

theconrodkid

posted on 2/6/04 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
aircraft buckels are no good,have to be the ones with a red push button to release,who makes these rules up????

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

NS Dev

posted on 2/6/04 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
It doesn't say anywhere in the book that aircraft buckles are no good? How do you know this?

I know of a number of cars which have passed with aircraft buckles.

All the book says is that it must be releasable by one hand (which these are)??

craig1410

posted on 2/6/04 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I too thought that the aircraft buckles were no good for SVA due to the requirement that the can be released using one hand moving in a single direction.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is "right" or sensible but it introduced an element of doubt that I wanted to avoid so I got SVA friendly Sabelt Clubman's with bolt fixings (not clip on fixings!) and the push button release. I think they still sell them for £80 inc vat at MAC#1 Motorsport.

HTH,
Craig.

David Jenkins

posted on 2/6/04 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
If you're going to Newark then there's usually a bloke selling Sabelt 4-points for around £40. They'll be the bolt-on type, rather than clip-on.

David

NS Dev

posted on 2/6/04 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I too thought that the aircraft buckles were no good for SVA due to the requirement that the can be released using one hand moving in a single direction.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is "right" or sensible but it introduced an element of doubt that I wanted to avoid so I got SVA friendly Sabelt Clubman's with bolt fixings (not clip on fixings!) and the push button release. I think they still sell them for £80 inc vat at MAC#1 Motorsport.

HTH,
Craig.

I'm a bit confused, is a rotary motion not a single direction?

My mate and his dad run Ultima Sports, and I know that the Willans harnesses that I have seen in all the ultimas that have gone through SVA have aircraft buckles?

Like you though, I am keen not to infuriate the SVA tester (though it will (well, should be) be the same centre that Ultima use (Notts))

craig1410

posted on 2/6/04 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
When I said £80 I was meaning for a PAIR of harnesses so it may well be the same guy who sells them. They are quite nice and come in various colours.

I agree completely about the aircraft style buckle's although I'm sure there will be many opinions on whether circular motion constitutes a "single direction". I don't think it does myself although it's one of those "letter of the law" versus "essence of the law" issues IMHO.

Perhaps the concern stems from the fact that the general public might not know how to release an aircraft buckle, especially in a panic situation. This may then prevent them from being able to rescue you from your burning reckage should the worst happen. Who knows...

Why not just call your local SVA centre and ask them if they would pass a car with aircraft harnesses fitted. I think as long as they have bolt fixings and not the eyelet type fixings (which are not considered a permanent fixture IIRC) then you might get away with it Give 'em a call!

Cheers,
Craig.

theconrodkid

posted on 2/6/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
ns dev,thats what we are told darn sarf,like most things SVA i spose it depends on yr tester and what day of the week it is

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/6/04 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
[

I'm a bit confused, is a rotary motion not a single direction?

No, its lots and lots of different directions all joined together!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

David Jenkins

posted on 2/6/04 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
[No, its lots and lots of different directions all joined together!

Ah... calculus explained in one simple sentence!

David

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/6/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
dy/dx

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

paulbeyer

posted on 2/6/04 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to the tester at Bristol today about turn buckle type harnesses and he said as long as the belts are suitably marked and can be undone with one hand they would pass no problem. He said this was one of those items in the SVA manual that was clear enough not to be open to individual interpretation. So there you go.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

NS Dev

posted on 3/6/04 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks all, think I'll speak to Nottingham SVA centre, incidentally Craig, I was also worried about the eyelet "non permanent" type harnesses but these are also ok for SVA (spoken to several people who have passed with these recently)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.