Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Q Plate IVA
WesBrooks

posted on 23/11/16 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Q Plate IVA

Afternoon all,

I would like to double check what documentary evidence I will need to collect when targeting a Q-plate & IVA. I had been aiming to get my truck through on a re-body and not touch the chassis, but it is becoming more difficult and will be a significant compromise in many areas.

Do I still need documentary evidence on where the major bits come from? I understand that to be only when you are using the points system to maintain the original number plate or get an age related plate? With a Q plate does it still go of the age of the engine for the emissions test?

Apart from not being able to use private plates (which doesn't bother me in the least) and some folk having it in for Q plates are there any disadvantages of a Q plate?

Thanks,

Wes.

http://doctrucker.wordpress.com

mcerd1

posted on 23/11/16 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
the plate you get and the IVA are separate issues

your right that if you make any significant changes to the chassis you should put the vehicle through an IVA - but VOSA don't care what plate the DVLA will give you after that....

assuming that it fits in the M1 category (ie Cars) emissions at the IVA are based on engine age (and your ability to prove that age)
if you can't prove the engines age you'll have to meet the same test as a brand new car...

after that the DVLA will give you and new plate if you can prove all the major parts except 1 are new
or you can get an age related plate if you can prove at least 2 major parts came from a single donor (the new plate will not be the same as the donor, but will be the same age)
but you'll get a Q plate if you can't provide enough for the above

the bonus of the Q plate it that it gives you a visual smoke test for emissions at the MOT (but not the IVA)

[Edited on 23/11/2016 by mcerd1]

-

WesBrooks

posted on 23/11/16 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

Fair enough I'd muddled the issues into one in my head. I'd heard the smoke thing about Q plate, but couldn't see how that fitted in with the emissions section on the M1 IVA guide.

As mine is a 2 seat 4x4 pick up truck I have to take a little care not to take it over 2000kg in weight to ensure it stays classed as an M1 vehicle. Rear facing removable seats may well help me around that issue, but I don't think the seatbelts for the front and rear seats can share anchor points. I'll be studying this further another time.

For me the issues were close before deciding to go for the IVA. The points system could have thrown me into an IVA if I didn't keep enough of the original car to retain the original plate.

ReMan

posted on 23/11/16 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
If its currently plated then the (unmodified chassis) should not need IVA
Or is there no plate at all?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

WesBrooks

posted on 23/11/16 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
If its currently plated then the (unmodified chassis) should not need IVA
Or is there no plate at all?

The compromises that I refer to in my original post are that I would like to cut the chassis overhang past the rear axle back by about 300mm. The body/kit that I'm using covers the overhang. As the fuel tank on the discovery mounts between the rear cross member and another member further forward in the chassis this forces alternative tanks. I've chosen under seat tanks (exterior, other side of the sealed floor) which will give the added benefit of more consistent handling between full and empty tank. These under seat tanks require new brackets on the chassis. I'm also planning a custom floor and bulkhead which will probably weld to the body, but could benefit from extra bulkhead chassis mount points.

In addition I would like to get it strengthened a bit and made from 3mm steel rather than the stock which is a little shy of 2mm.

I need a new chassis anyway, and while some of the strengthening could be done and not need an IVA I've just decided to stop working around it. This way I could agree the mods in advance with the chassis builder and get it delivered galvanised and ready to go.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.