Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using wing mirrors from type approved vehicle.
WesBrooks

posted on 27/2/17 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Using wing mirrors from type approved vehicle.

If I use a wing mirror from a type approved vehicle is it assumed to satisfy all requirements other than field of view?

I'm looking to use land rover defender mirrors and I'm not sure if they snap back to a set position if knocked and can't be adjusted from inside.

http://doctrucker.wordpress.com

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 27/2/17 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
FYI, Defender mirrors are set by hand, and don't return to any fixed position - they're just a spherical joint in a clamp that allows for the movement. Can't help with the IVA part of the question though, sorry!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

loggyboy

posted on 27/2/17 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Mirror size or type is easy to comply with , it just needs to min 7cm wide by min 4cm tall, but with an area thats min 7cm tall. (ie for an angular/ tapering/teardrop shape).
The field of vision will be down to where the mirror is located to see past rear arches etc. So down to how/where you install them.

So using an 'approved' mirror is no guarantee. (for the latter.).

For the adjustment/knock back, that only applies to the drivers side and must be adjustable from the driving seat OR if knocked out of alignment, it must be capable of being returned to its former position without the need for adjustment.
So unless its out of reach, knock back system is not required.

[Edited on 27-2-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

WesBrooks

posted on 27/2/17 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for confirming that. I thought that would be the case. So it doesn't fulfil any of the requirements other than field of view, but is on a type approved vehicle.

WesBrooks

posted on 27/2/17 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Loggyboy, you got that in while I was replying! Field of view may be a faff but I'll cope with that. I was more concerned that it can't be adjusted from inside and won't snap back the a set position if knocked, but both of those behaviours are the same as on a defender.

loggyboy

posted on 27/2/17 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WesBrooks
Thanks for confirming that. I thought that would be the case. So it doesn't fulfil any of the requirements other than field of view, but is on a type approved vehicle.

Yes any type approval is related to the whole vehicle, not individual components.

quote:
Originally posted by WesBrooks
Loggyboy, you got that in while I was replying! Field of view may be a faff but I'll cope with that. I was more concerned that it can't be adjusted from inside and won't snap back the a set position if knocked, but both of those behaviours are the same as on a defender.

Its not about being from inside, just from drivers seat, so its ok to wind window down etc to reach the mirror and re-adjust.

[Edited on 27-2-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.