Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota Engine Age proof
ttalps2000

posted on 26/7/17 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Finally got through to Mark in the tech dept. He has confirmed the letter from RAW should not be accepted as it is not sufficient for what they require.

So need to either get something out of Toyota or buy a scrap car with a log book and engine or meet the current emissions test!

Looks like the car wont be on the road this year!!

russbost

posted on 26/7/17 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Was he not able to offer any alternative form of proof? They won't accept a V5 as proof of engine age as obviously you could fit a late engine to an early car, get the V5 updated with new engine no. & then pass the new engine off as an old one.

VOSA must know that that engine physically cannot be later than about '93 no matter what it's come from

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ttalps2000

posted on 26/7/17 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Mark is telling me that the Jap engines were fitted much later to vehicles in Asia than Europe and so they need full proof as it could have come from Asia etc and be different to what they think!

I have someone at Toyota looking into what they can do for me, but its looking more like a Zetec will be going in it shortly and get rid of the Toyota lump all together. Have little choice!

Pete Jordan

posted on 8/10/17 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Just wondering if snippy and ttalps2000 managed to resolve the issue of proving the age of their 4AGE engines, or whether anyone else has? Did you manage to convince VOSA/the IVA test centre that the engines must be pre-1992 since they went out of production in 1991, did you end up fitting a cat to pass the tighter emissions test or did you go for a different engine altogether?

I ask because I have a 4AGE 16v engine that I'm planning on installing in my MK Indy but, after reading this post, I'd rather make sure I can verify its age before going any further. Also, I'm planning on putting Weber DCOE carburetors on it but I have no experience of catalysers so am not clear whether one would work with them to meet the tighter emissions test. Does anyone know if this would work please?

thanks

Pete

ttalps2000

posted on 9/10/17 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
I had no luck with Toyota at all. They tell me that they do not keep engine and chassis numbers and cannot produce letters. Despite the fact I told them several times that I have copies of letters from them, they still say they cannot produce them! It got to the point where they would not speak to me any further on the issue!

Spoke to Mark Vickers at DVSA, he advised that Toyota are appalling with trying to get any information out of them and usually are unsuccessful. We did have a conversation about putting a CAT on the car, however like he said, unless you spend a lot of money on a very good fuel injection system you will never get through the test, so don't bother!

I have now gone down the Zetec route. Sent a letter to Ford, a week later I get a response with all the information they need!

Personally, save yourself a lot of money, effort and stress and don't fit the 4AGE! Great engine, but you wont get through IVA easily if at all with one!

Matt

1960dave

posted on 20/10/17 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone needs a MK1MR2 log book I know a breaker very well that would help out.
snippy

posted on 26/1/18 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't done much work on the GTA for the last 3 months but now back on the case. Just reading this thread again and it makes a depressing read. Has anyone successfully Iva'd a car with an old 4age lump in the last 12 mths? It would be a real shame to swap engines at this late stage not to mention the added costs.
ttalps2000

posted on 28/1/18 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
it is depressing and cost me close to £2k to do the engine change to a Zetec and get everything sorted out. Now passed IVA and sold the 4AGE engine, but my advise would be to go to your local test center and speak to them before you go any further.

When i spoke to DVSA tech department, they said they would not accept the letter from Toyota that RAW engineering have! However if you go to the Kent test center that RAW use i'm sure it would all be fine....

Other option is to fit a CAT, which if you are running injection it wont be much of an issue, but good luck on carbs!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.