Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Immobiliser
steveabr

posted on 27/3/17 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Immobiliser

Having now changed direct with switches I also changing steering column and moving ignition switch.

I no this would have been an one of the two required items required for IVA, i am also fitting an immobiliser, would a battery isolator serve the same purpose?

Steve

theduck

posted on 27/3/17 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
As in a battery cut off switch? They aren't acceptable as one of your two security items for IVA. Key, steering lock, immobiliser and transmission lock are about your only
Options.

steveabr

posted on 27/3/17 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for being dumb, when you say key, do you mean ignition key?
gremlin1234

posted on 27/3/17 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
from iva manual
quote:
A mechanical anti-theft device could be a steering lock or transmission lock. An electronic immobiliser can be activated by the ignition key (so would not be obvious) or could be separate - activated by a little fob type device
A manually operated battery master switch or a removable steering wheel would not be considered to be an anti theft device.

steveabr

posted on 27/3/17 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Think I've found a suitable lock on eBay guys, it's a handbrake/gearstick lock which I'm hoping is ok. Thanks for the help
theduck

posted on 27/3/17 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't sound like it would be.

Just fit an immobiliser and an ignition barrel for Iva. It's the simplest option if you haven't got steering lock.

[Edited on 27/3/17 by theduck]

gremlin1234

posted on 28/3/17 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steveabr
Think I've found a suitable lock on eBay guys, it's a handbrake/gearstick lock which I'm hoping is ok. Thanks for the help

its not allowed to work on any part of the braking system

quote:

2. If fitted to the Vehicle, an anti – theft device
a. must be operational
b. must not operate on any part of the braking system

steveabr

posted on 28/3/17 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help guys, ignition barrel and immobiliser it will be then.
WesBrooks

posted on 5/4/17 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
My in-laws have just taken in a Cobra A4138HF for me, ordered on the weekend! I'd been thinking about ditching the ignition barrel. Most of my dash switches are switch to earth (accessories and ignition enable two 70A relays on the panel), and I currently just plan to ground the accessories and ignition through the ignition barrel while it is in the accessories, ignition, or start positions. I'm of the opinion that hiding the circuit isolation relays in the car and a custom loom with non-standard colours is about as much as I can do from a security stand point short of fitting a tracker?

Would I need the ignition barrel and the immobiliser/alarm for the IVA even when the the alarm/immobiliser has two isolation circuits with the relay being remote?

http://doctrucker.wordpress.com

WesBrooks

posted on 6/4/17 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've just looked through the manual and the following statements seem to be clear:

"A vehicle MUST be fitted with either a mechanical anti – theft device or an electronic immobiliser"

...I read the or as meaning either on its own is acceptable. In other words a key opperated steering lock is fine on its own as per the notes:

"A mechanical anti-theft device could be a steering lock or transmission lock. An electronic immobiliser can be activated by the ignition key (so would not be obvious) or could be separate - activated by a little fob type device"

"The vehicle as presented must be accompanied by evidence of compliance where an alarm is fitted"

...so alarm not a mandatory requirement but if it is there then you need the certification for the alarm.

"Where the vehicle has no mechanical anti - theft device fitted:
4. An electronic immobiliser must be fitted (see Note 1.)

Note 1. An electronic immobiliser must be designed so as to prevent the operation of the vehicle under its own power by disabling, in the case of aftermarket fitting, at least two separate vehicle circuits that are needed for vehicle operation under its own power (e.g. starter motor, ignition, fuel supply, pneumatically released spring brakes, etc.)"

If used an electronic immobiliser must disable two distinct circuits that are required to run the engine.

loggyboy

posted on 6/4/17 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
You need ONE form of immobilisation - this can be mechanical or electronic.
So you can replace the steering lock with an immobiliser, but you still need an 'ignition switch'

Check, in addition to the normal “ignition” switch, that the vehicle is permanently fitted with an anti-theft device or an electronic immobiliser that can be activated to prevent the vehicle being driven or moved under its own power.

The definition of ignition switch is described in the glossary:

Ignition Switch
A key operated switch normally used to start the engine.

so you can do away with the steering lock part of the ignition barrel, but will need some sort of key switch to start or at least turn the ignition on (ie if you want a push button start)

[Edited on 6-4-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

WesBrooks

posted on 6/4/17 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Fair dos, I understand why you are interpreting it that way and it would indeed get through the IVA with an key switch ignition barrel.

I'll drop them an email, because usually in the guide if the car must have something they say exactly that. So if it was impossible to pass an IVA without a key switch I would have expected to see somewhere in the document something along the lines of 'the car must have a key operated key switch'. The requirement for the ignitions switch isn't even the primary statement of that sentence. The primary emphasis being that a key switch must be complimented by another form of immobilisation. It is also coming from the 'Method of Inspection' half of the guide rather than the 'Required Standard'.

I wonder if this is really the intent of the people wording the standard. They may have been trying to say a keyed ignition barrel shouldn't be considered an immobiliser and it must be complemented by another means of immobilisation. This would make sense as it is such a simple device to defeat and often prominently placed. As far as I can see it doesn't say a ignition key switch can count as an electronic immobiliser, and a steering lock while often bundled with the ignition switch isn't by there definition the same thing.

I do however appreciate that the just because a type approved car can get through with keyless operation is no proof you can get through an IVA following the same approach.

gremlin1234

posted on 6/4/17 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WesBrooks I do however appreciate that the just because a type approved car can get through with keyless operation is no proof you can get through an IVA following the same approach.

I thought the method of inspection make it quite clear that you can use a remote fob type thing.
quote:
An electronic immobiliser can be activated by the ignition key (so would not be obvious) or could be separate - activated by a little fob type device

(my italics)

loggyboy

posted on 6/4/17 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WesBrooks
I'll drop them an email, because usually in the guide if the car must have something they say exactly that. So if it was impossible to pass an IVA without a key switch I would have expected to see somewhere in the document something along the lines of 'the car must have a key operated key switch'. The requirement for the ignitions switch isn't even the primary statement of that sentence. The primary emphasis being that a key switch must be complimented by another form of immobilisation. It is also coming from the 'Method of Inspection' half of the guide rather than the 'Required Standard'.

I think the only thing in favour of that is it doesnt mention the ignition switch in the 'required standard', only in the 'method of inspection'.

Its my intention to fit a basic key (similar to this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/spst-metal-body-cj98g ) , combined with a Clifford virtual key immobiliser which works like a lot of modern cars immobilisers and is 'contact less'. Then post IVA replace the ignition key with a push start button that will light up when the clifford fob is detected, and work much like the keyless entries you see on some modern cars that just require the key to be in the vicinity of the driver.

[Edited on 6-4-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

WesBrooks

posted on 6/4/17 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
I thought the method of inspection make it quite clear that you can use a remote fob type thing.
quote:
An electronic immobiliser can be activated by the ignition key (so would not be obvious) or could be separate - activated by a little fob type device

(my italics)

I think that section which you are refering to means you can deactivate the electronic immobiliser by either a fob or an ignition key. I don't believe that section is meant to be interpreted as you can use a fob instead of a key.

WesBrooks

posted on 6/4/17 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Its my intention to fit a basic key (similar to this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/spst-metal-body-cj98g ) , combined with a Clifford virtual key immobiliser which works like a lot of modern cars immobilisers and is 'contact less'. Then post IVA replace the ignition key with a push start button that will light up when the clifford fob is detected, and work much like the keyless entries you see on some modern cars that just require the key to be in the vicinity of the driver.

I was thinking very similarly. I have however realised that using the alarm as the immobiliser doesn't reasonably confirm the key holder is in the truck. I think the steering lock is useless as anti theft thing, but does direct the vehicle one way of the other if parking brakes fail!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.