Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fog light switch - latching relay
snippy

posted on 26/1/18 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Fog light switch - latching relay

With the fog light switch set up do we still need to wire in a latching relay? The IVA manual doesn't make it clear. Any recent IVA experiences on this issue?
loggyboy

posted on 26/1/18 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Been confirmed as not required for kit cars. Search is your friend.

Mistral Motorsport

PorkChop

posted on 26/1/18 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding of it (as I'm speccing my loom at the moment) is that as long as you meet Required Standard 4 then you are OK. In other words, the fog light is wired so that it can only be on when the dipped / main headlights are on.

The alternatives (i.e. notes 3 and 4) are just that - alternatives to Required Standard 4. You don't need to do them, and it's pointless IMO making things more complicated / expensive than they need to be for no gain.

EDITED: beaten to it

[Edited on 26/1/18 by PorkChop]

snippy

posted on 26/1/18 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just found your old post loggyboy. Didn't see it on earlier search. I will copy the details for when I finally do the IVA.
Thanks for that!

ttalps2000

posted on 28/1/18 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
They checked to see if i had one when i went through IVA first time round in June 2017, so may be advisable to fit one! Seems to differ from test centre to centre though!
loggyboy

posted on 28/1/18 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I can forward my email convo with VOSA to anyone who feels they need back up.

quote:

I can confirm that the requirements for the rear fog lamp are still that they only operate when dipped beam, main beam or front fog lamps are lit.
The requirements of note 4 will therefore only apply if the rear fog lamp then operates if the position lamps are switched off and back on, as is possible on some modern CAN bus wiring systems. As most kit cars take the fog lamp feed directly from the headlamp circuit, this will not be possible and as such there is no requirement for the systems listed in note 4 to be fitted.

I do hope that you have found this information to be of use. However, if you feel that I can be of further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Mark

Mark Vickers Eng Tech MSOE MIRTE
Technical Officer | Vehicle & Operator Services Agency | Ellipse | Padley
Road | Swansea | SA1 8AN

Mistral Motorsport

ttalps2000

posted on 29/1/18 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
cant argue with that!

Would def take it with you when going for IVA though. As said, they checked mine had a relay etc when I went!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.