Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Importing a 2001 registered Fisher Fury from Ireland
Phil5062

posted on 9/4/18 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a natural born over thinker...

I'm worrying that if it needed to pass a current IVA that it would fail on headlight height (it has the classic bonnet ) and replacing the bonnet etc. etc. would be a costly, tiresome process

I'm over thinking aren't I ?
I imagine importing a 1971 MG Midget wouldn't have to have to comply with current legislation (headlight height) therefore a Fisher ( built and registered in another EU country) would be treated similarly. (I think I'm paranoid of peoples views of 'assembled from kit'

on_eighty_runner

posted on 9/4/18 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,
I can add a few things on this.

IVA started in Ireland in 2012 via the NSAI government department. Prior to that there was nothing and little if any checks.

You can check current NCT status here.
https://www.ncts.ie/check-nct-due-date/
The NCT standard is higher than that of an MOT.
Engine emissions are based on the age of the engine and these limits for Co and Hydrocarbons are on each NCT cert.
2 stroke, wankle and hybrids are emissions exempt.

There have been a few mentions of vrt when exporting a car.
See here
https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1
The calculator doesn't cover bespoke or rare cars.
VRT is a registration tax based on the current Retail price including this tax. It used to have bands based on engine size but all are now based on the CO2 emissions on the V5C.
It varies from
14% <80 gCo2/km
To
36%. >225 g Co2/km.

If they value the car at €5,000 you will get €700 less €100 fee as your co2 figure on the v5c is <80.
If it said 999 (typical on v5c for pre 2008 car as tax was based on engine size and co2 didn't matter) you would get back €1,800 less €100 fees.
Car over 30 years are exempt.

Phone revenue.ie for a quotation for vrt refund. Reg number is enough. They decide the value not you although you can appeal afterwards.

Would be very interested in what they value it at.

I had huge difficult in registering an Irish reg regular 1995 Clio when I move to the UK in 2002. The DVLA kept asking for more and more documents and a cert of conformity in English for a car made in France that was the same specifications as a UK car anyway. Didn't try too hard so paid no tax for 3 years in either country!

Don't worry about driving it here without tax, just bring insurance and ferry tickets to show if for export. Tax would be €636 for 12 months.

vonmoogen

posted on 9/4/18 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the VRT will be based on engine capacity being registered pre 2008 not the CO2 basis?

Rob

on_eighty_runner

posted on 9/4/18 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vonmoogen
Surely the VRT will be based on engine capacity being registered pre 2008 not the CO2 basis?

Unfortunately not.
Road tax is based on engine size pre 2008, co2 after.
Co2 applies o all vrt based on what is on the v5c.

A 2003 CL500 cost €188,000 incl vrt new.
Is advertised now for €5000.
Revenue will give you €1,900 based on 36% vrt.

Reason: who wants a car that cost €1,809 a year to tax!

obfripper

posted on 9/4/18 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I did notice that a valid nct certificate is required to claim back the vrt, and an inspection at an nct centre is also required - it would be a bonus to claim back the vrt, but the logistics of doing that after purchase may be more complex than it is worth.
If the current owner could get the vehicle through nct (which will probably cover all the mentioned mot aspects) , for a split of the vrt refund (assuming 600-1000€) then it may work out in your favour as you would be mot ok on return and have some cash back.

Dave

vonmoogen

posted on 9/4/18 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by on_eighty_runner
quote:
Originally posted by vonmoogen

Unfortunately not.
Road tax is based on engine size pre 2008, co2 after.
Co2 applies o all vrt based on what is on the v5c.

A 2003 CL500 cost €188,000 incl vrt new.
Is advertised now for €5000.
Revenue will give you €1,900 based on 36% vrt.

Reason: who wants a car that cost €1,809 a year to tax!

Well every day is a school day. Why is it not assessed for export on the same criteria it was registered on!

You don't have to tell me about the ridiculous motor tax rates, they wanted €2300 for the one I had when I moved over. Took it back to the UK and sold it. Bought a couple of classics instead- €200 each to import and €56 a year tax. It really is the only way to own something interesting in this country.

Rob

on_eighty_runner

posted on 9/4/18 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
I did notice that a valid nct certificate is required to claim back the vrt, and an inspection at an nct centre is also required - it would be a bonus to claim back the vrt, but the logistics of doing that after purchase may be more complex than it is worth.
If the current owner could get the vehicle through nct (which will probably cover all the mentioned mot aspects) , for a split of the vrt refund (assuming 600-1000€) then it may work out in your favour as you would be mot ok on return and have some cash back.

Dave

A colleague did go through this and got back €3,500.
There is an nct center in kilarney but you cant just turn up.
A specific slot needs to be booked for inspection and a slot for the actual nct test itself. Test costs about €50 but a retest if needed needs to be booked too.

I'd ask the current owner or a local garage to do this for you. This avolds any insurance issues if the car is not currently covered and trade accounts can get same day tests.

Phil5062

posted on 10/4/18 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I imagine if the car was inspected it would be inspected commensurate with its age and headlight height from 2001
It would be unfair to declare them too low (as per 2018) when it could be an MG Midget say with similar issues.

I’ll get pictures of the VIN and stamped Chassis numbers and awaiting the forms from DVLA

Phil5062

posted on 14/4/18 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
As the car isn’t currently tested, or road worthy claiming back any tax wouldn’t really be feasible or achievable.

It was good reading the importing the Mustang blog.

What do we think regarding importing the Fisher then? Relatively straightforward or the chance of being made to go through a full IVA ? (£500 + £100 per retest)

obfripper

posted on 14/4/18 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
It should be straightforward, with the caveat that you will need a valid mot to complete the registration (as the registation includes taxing for the road)

Dave

Phil5062

posted on 24/4/18 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I’m going to collect the car this weekend. Let the fun begin. I’ll keep you posted
vonmoogen

posted on 24/4/18 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck. Hope you enjoy it.

Rob

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.