Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Head Lamps
the_big_1

posted on 22/7/20 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Head Lamps

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had issues with the head lamp beam pattern etc?
Looking at mounting my head lamps, more outboard than the book says but it still looks like the nose would block the beam a little or is the inner pattern not important?

Below are pics of my current positioning.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ww1GY4N7wTW9Y2AH9

Many thanks!!

nick205

posted on 22/7/20 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
When I built my MK Indy it was SVA not IVA, but their was a rule about head lamps being a minimum distance in from the widest part of the vehicle. I'm sure IVA still has the rule.

I don't know the distance, but the first point I'd check is are your head lamps complying with this rule?

If not then they'll need moving further out.

Then I'd check in the IVA rules to see what it states about head lamp beam pattern and any interference (e.g. nosecone)?

If it's something the IVA inspector will check it'll be in the IVA rules.

the_big_1

posted on 22/7/20 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ya,

I looked for mentions of proximately to other objects and nothing.
what I found is:

1. All obligatory and optional headlamps must be fitted as “matched pairs”. (Yes No Problem. A matching Pair)

2. They must be operational. (Yes No Problem. All working)
3. They must be fitted in the correct orientation as would be on an approved vehicle. (Yes No Problem, Face forward)
4. They must emit a white light. (Yes No Problem)
5. When on dip or main beam they must emit sufficient light to be able to illuminate
the road in front of the vehicle (Subjective, how can you measure this???)
6. The correct number must be fitted to the vehicle (Table 1) (Yes No Problem, 2 fitted)
7. Dipped beam headlamps must be positioned to meet the requirements of Table 1 (400mm from outside edge OK. Max 1200mm min 500mm. OK.

Then there angles of visibility, 45Deg Out, 10 Deg In, 15 Deg Up. 10 Deg Down. What's this measuring??? Where's the measurement from?

8. There must be a tell tale when on Main Beam. (see Note 1) (Yes No Problem)
10. The beam image ‘kick-up’ must not be to the offside. (Yes No Problem)
11. For headlamps with centres not more than 850mm from the ground, the beam image horizontal cut-off must be between the horizontal 0.5% and 2% lines, i.e. the red tolerance band. (No problem, up and down adjustment)
12. For headlamps with centres more than 850mm from the ground, the beam image
horizontal cut-off must be between the horizontal 1.25% and 2.75% lines, i.e. the
blue tolerance band. (NA)
13. The beam image ‘break point’ must not be to the right of the 0% vertical line, or to the left of the vertical 2% line. (No problem with side to side adjustment)

But what the beam after the 2% left of the vertical line? from the right lamp? if it blocked by the nose slightly?
What about the beam to the right of the 0% vertical line? from the left lamp? if it blocked by the nose slightly?
[img]http:// Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 22/7/20 by the_big_1]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.