jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 6/9/20 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
First Mot after IVA test

Well that was a bit of a shock just taken my striker for it's first mot. After the last owner put in for the IVA before I brought it

He had removed the reversing light & fog light units after IVA before I bought it. I dont no why as are both useable for driving

They wont fail the mot with out them said the last owner. There in the boxes of spares that go with the car.

The shocker came when I dropped the car off at the garage I use for some work on my car's for the mot.

Later that day I got a phone call from the garage saying the mot centre.

Has failed the car as it had no number plate lights at all. So the car was picked up from the mot centre.

By the garage for them to fit number plates lights. As I am at work myself so needed doing to get back on the road

It's not something you look for when you buy a car That's just been tested To IVA standards to go on the road

Something for others to watch out for

Slimy38

posted on 7/9/20 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
So it passed with no reverse or fog light, which I would consider fairly important safety items, but it failed because the number plate wasn't lit?

And people wonder why I have no faith in the MOT process...

russbost

posted on 7/9/20 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Reverse isn't part of the MoT test, but rear fog light most certainly is. It should not have passed IVA without no. plate light, so presumably must have been fitted back then?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
peter030371

posted on 7/9/20 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Is it on a Q plate? If so it shouldn't need a reverse or fog light (although this is often a point of failure and if you show the nice MOT man the rules they tend to get the hump assuming you are telling them how to do there job)

Does need a number plate light though

[Edited on 7/9/20 by peter030371]

gremlin1234

posted on 7/9/20 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Reverse isn't part of the MoT test, but rear fog light most certainly is. It should not have passed IVA without no. plate light, so presumably must have been fitted back then?

they are now tested for cars
first registered after sept 2009.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

quote:

4.6.1. Condition and operation
You must inspect all reversing lamps fitted to vehicles first used from 1 September 2009 other than quadricycles and Class 3 vehicles.

Reversing lamps must show a white light to the rear. On some vehicles it may be necessary to have the engine running before the reversing lamps will work.

At least one reversing lamp must be fitted.

Buses over 6m long may have 4 reversing lamps which may be:

all showing white light to the rear
2 showing white light to the rear and one on each side
Defect Category
(a) A reversing lamp inoperative Major
(b) A reversing lamp lens defective Major
(c) A reversing lamp:

(i) not securely attached Minor
(ii) likely to become detached Major

russbost

posted on 7/9/20 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I meant reverse gear isn't part of the test, tho' testing for a reverse light if you don't have reverse gear does seem somewhat pointless! I'd misread Slimy 38's post as meaning without reverse, rather than without reverse light!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coyoteboy

posted on 7/9/20 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
How does it work if your >2009 vehicle doesn't have reverse then?

SteveWalker

posted on 7/9/20 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't having a working system of reversing the car (reverse gear, separate reversing box or electric drive) become part of the IVA in 2009? So all post 2009 vehicles "should" have reverse and therefore a method of operating the reversing light.

[Edited on 7/9/20 by SteveWalker]

gremlin1234

posted on 7/9/20 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Didn't having a working system of reversing the car (reverse gear, separate reversing box or electric drive) become part of the IVA in 2009? So all post 2009 vehicles "should" have reverse and therefore a method of operating the reversing light.

[Edited on 7/9/20 by SteveWalker]
yep been in the iva test manual since 27 march 2009

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 7/9/20 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
Is it on a Q plate? If so it shouldn't need a reverse or fog light (although this is often a point of failure and if you show the nice MOT man the rules they tend to get the hump assuming you are telling them how to do there job)

Does need a number plate light though

[Edited on 7/9/20 by peter030371]

Yep it's on a Q plate

That's good to no about it may fail at some test centres but not all.Will make sure I take the mot pass paperwork with me next time
just in case they use some else to test it

peter030371

posted on 7/9/20 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jester
Yep it's on a Q plate

That's good to no about it may fail at some test centres but not all.Will make sure I take the mot pass paperwork with me next time
just in case they use some else to test it

From https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/introduction

>Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows:
>-for emission purposes only, they are to be considered as first used before 1 August 1975
>-for all other testing purposes, they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971

It does get confusing as the DVLA have issued some Q cars with emissions limits listed in the V5, in which case the above is not true and the V5 limit is applied by the MOT test software (which the tester has no control over). If the V5 has nothing in the emissions box then its 'visible smoke' only.

However other than emissions the rest is what should be applied i.e. you don't need hazard, reverse or fog lights (but if fitted they must work). You also only need two rear view mirrors but then as I can't see bugger all in my 3 I will keep them all for now

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.