Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying an engine
injuneer7

posted on 11/9/20 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Buying an engine

Wonder if anyone can tell me if you need any documents to prove you own an engine before IVA. If I buy a car for the engine and scrap the body, the reg document has to go to scrapyard. If I just buy an engine , do I need anything.
Thanks.

Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.”

obfripper

posted on 11/9/20 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
You can sorn the car, cut up the car body and dispose of as scrap metal etc, keeping the V5.

When you IVA & register the car, use the V5 as proof of engine age/provenence.

If you've got just an engine, for IVA you'll need either the V5 to match or a letter from the manufacturer confirming the age of the engine, some manufacturers are more helpful than others. Some people have had luck using the Burtons catalog Ford engine age chart as proof of age for IVA, i don't know of similar of any other makes.

Without proof of age, you'll need to pass a catalyst emissions test at IVA, however with no proveable engine age/provenence you would end up with a q plate once registered, so you wouldn't need to pass an emissions test at MOT.

Dave

injuneer7

posted on 11/9/20 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks

Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.”

injuneer7

posted on 11/9/20 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks

snapper

posted on 12/9/20 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
It’s a little more complicated however a V5 proves what finite you used so age related plate. If the engine you use is different to the engine number on the V5 you may need proof of purchase of the engine.
Engine age is a different engine, V5 proves that or letter from manufacturer or the Ford engine age page from the Burton Performance catalogue.
It would be good for you to understand the IVA points system to understand what you need from the donor to get an age related plate.
Fitting a catalytic converter is decided on engine age

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

injuneer7

posted on 13/9/20 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments. Emissions is probably only part of manual I haven't been through yet. I'm not worried about reg no. Q suits me fine. Are you saying that if they're not clear where the engine came from, they won't do an emissions test for IVA?

obfripper

posted on 13/9/20 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by injuneer7
Thanks for the comments. Emissions is probably only part of manual I haven't been through yet. I'm not worried about reg no. Q suits me fine. Are you saying that if they're not clear where the engine came from, they won't do an emissions test for IVA?

If the engine age is unknown you have to meet the current limits, ie a catalyst emissions test for the IVA.

The q plate has it's advantages for mot in that the vehicle will be regarded as pre 01/08/1975 for emissions purposes, and pre 1971 for all other aspects of the mot.

Dave

injuneer7

posted on 13/9/20 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, that's cleared things up for me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.