Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Indicator switches
dan8400

posted on 3/11/20 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Indicator switches

Hi everyone

I am building a reverse trike. Just reading through the MSVA manual (the test I need) and I says I have to be able to reach dip/main switch and indicator with both hands on the steering control.

Can this be right? If so, I’ll have to change it. I have a row of toggle switches set up at the moment but cannot operate indicators or dip/main beam with both hands on the wheel.

Have I misread it or do I need to change my vehicle?

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/11/20 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Where exactly does it say that? Page/section. I can't see that statement (although admittedly my glasses are downstairs...) and it seems rather odd that for the IVA dash switches are permitted. Have you downloaded the PDF manual from the Gov website?

linky

[Edited on 3/11/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan8400

posted on 4/11/20 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
I am on this website:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/821685/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-inspection-m anual.pdf

Section 6: lighting. It seems like a generic statement for all the vehicles in the test ie: motorbikes, quads, trikes etc. Unless I’m reading it wrong

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/11/20 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Ok so you did miss read it... you inserted the word "Both" where it did not exist yeah it says hands and not hand but it doesn't say both... tbh it's not very well written like most of these things.

3. Check all light switches for;
a) presence
b) operation
c) security

d) safe positioning with regard to operation - switches for headlamp dip/main and direction indicators must be fitted in such a way that they can be operated with the hands remaining on the steering control

4. Check that a front positional lamp;
a) closed-circuit tell-tale is fitted. (A separate tell-tale is not required if the instrument panel lighting can only be switched on or off with the positional lamp.)
b) rear positional lamp and registration plate lamps fitted can be switched on and off by one operating switch
5. Check that the main (where applicable)/dipped headlamp switch operates simultaneously all main beam headlamps when switched from dipped to main beam and main to dipped beam. It is permissible for the dipped beam to remain lit at the same time as the main beam.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan8400

posted on 4/11/20 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the clarification.

So I’m ok to have my dash mounted switches after all ?

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/11/20 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on the inspector... one that says it reads Hands not Hand...lol, you get them and this is the problem with poorly written guidance it leaves things open to stupid interpretation. I'd say your were just fine leaving them on the dash considering even new Caterhams have the indicator switch on the dash and why a trike would not be fine with the same.

[Edited on 4/11/20 by Mr Whippy]

SteveWalker

posted on 4/11/20 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Probably down to the writers considering bikes, trikes and quads, all with handlebars and not really thinking that a reverse trike may have a steering wheel and so should be treated the same as a car.
dan8400

posted on 4/11/20 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

I think I will chance it as it is. It is more car based than motorcycle based so I can always use that in my favour.

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

gremlin1234

posted on 4/11/20 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
if you do have to move the switches, its quite reasonable to have foot switch for dip/main beam.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.