Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Inspection Booked for next friday
Kitlooney1000

posted on 27/3/04 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Inspection Booked for next friday

DVLA rung me yesterday to arrange a time. Finally agreed on 11am. Miss the rush hour traffic. Will be driving it for the first time to the inspection (must make sure i have my AA card on me). Got a friend to follow me. Its about 30 miles from Southampton to the DVLA in Portsmouth so that will give it a good run.
Have arranged the insurance with Adrian Flux. He asked for a chassis number, i said there isnt one yet, but apparently, according to the DVLA you can use a temporary one then issue the insurance company with the proper one once you receive it, you have 30 days to notify them. Pretty good quote aswell, £130, fully comp.

JoelP

posted on 27/3/04 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
thats quite cheap isnt it. is the chassis inspection different to the SVA? i though they came round to do the preliminary inspection?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Kitlooney1000

posted on 27/3/04 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis inspection is done by DVLA to issue a Chassis or VIN number, and to confirm the Parts for the V5. The SVA is done by VOSA to warrant the safety of the car on the road.
jacko

posted on 27/3/04 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Kit Looney,
I went To Beverley DVLA to book an inspection on Friday but they say I cant have one until after the SVA. I rang Adrian Flux and they say they give 30 days on the chassis number then cancel your insurance and you loose the premium paid for the year if you dont give them a registration number before the 30 days is up. Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bonerp

posted on 27/3/04 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
My inspection is Monday at Bristol and I've gotta trailer it down otherwise they won't give me a reg! Arses!

Got SVA and MOT already too!

Paul

matt_claydon

posted on 27/3/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
bonerp, I took mine to Bristol to be inspected after SVA and they explicitly told me I was allowed to drive it there and back, not have to trailer - in fact, it was on the official letter they sent me (which typically I can't find now). Maybe worth checking up with them if you'd rather drive.

Matt.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/3/04 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
my understanding - which could be wrong - its that the car can only be driven to a pre booked sva or mot.

you must have a vin no or there isnt anything to insure against - and the vro visit is usually to get the number....

atb

steve

zetec

posted on 28/3/04 at 03:19 AM Reply With Quote
I think there are other instances for driving non registered car, but mainly for getting repairs due to failed SVA/MOT. Might be worth checking 100% before as I've found DVLA are wrong...a lot!
As for "kit friendly" insurance companies being very un kit friendly...whats that all about!

type 907

posted on 28/3/04 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Chelmsford came out to my mates at Halstead, about 25 miles.
This was a little over a year ago.
Gave him a chassis number which he
stamped on there and then.
Had a chat, cup of tea, and toddled off back to Chelmsford.

Paul G

Too much is just enough

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/04 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
And I wondered why I was so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you had to have sorted out the VIN with the VRO before you could get your SVA? They check the VIN plate at the SVA don't they? According to the replies I got to my question about the order of legalities, you get the VRO inspection done as soon as you get to the rolling chassis stage, and that is when they issue the VIN!! Is this wrong? It seems so if there are people going to the SVA without a VIN? I am even more confused than ever. Can SOMEBODY in the know please put an idiots guide to the order of doing the legalities for a component car build, SVA, reg, tax etc etc etc.................??

Peteff

posted on 28/3/04 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
My inspection is Monday at Bristol and I've gotta trailer it down otherwise they won't give me a reg! Arses!

You should only need to show the documents and the MAC to get your registration number, plus pay the registration fee and road fund license. Bristol must be different to anywhere else as they are inconsistent in their application of the rules they have set. At Sheffield you can do the final reg by post if you aren't in a hurry. The vin plate is checked at sva and used to insure the car to get there.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/3/04 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
NOrthampton expect you to take the car to them.

1. the correct order is get a vin from local VRO - no vin = no insurance. Put it on the car
2. get an MOT (you need one at some stage).
3. take to SVA after booking with DVLA
4. tkae your details with MAC pass cert to local VRO - they give you a reg.

Anyone disagree?

atb

steve

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/04 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks!

That all sounds good and makes sense!

cheers

Nat

JoelP

posted on 28/3/04 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
as ever though, the only way to be sure is to ring your local place and speak to the man in charge himself. then there can be no messing about!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

matt_claydon

posted on 28/3/04 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson

Anyone disagree?

Yep ;-)

You dont need an MOT for the first 3 years, as with a new car, if you're getting an age-related plate. See here - http://www.totalkitcar.com/tkc_article_346.shtml

My personal scenario - since I built the car in Winchester, I called Portsmouth DVLA to get a chassis number and they said they wanted to see the car. I told them that I couldn't bring the car to them as it wasn't on the road yet so they sent me a number by post and said I would have to have the inspection done before I could register. I took the car to Bristol for SVA where Bristol DVLA told me it was OK to drive the car to/from them for the inspection. This is pretty standard stuff I think - there must be loads of cars that need to be issued with a reg (imports, right-offs etc) and there's no way everyone would be expected to trailer their cars just for a chassis / engine number etc. inpection. I was issued reg and tax without the need for an MOT even being mentioned.

Matt.

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/04 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
next question then, do you need MOT for a Q plate? I presume that is what I will get as I am building from all sorts of bits!
Kitlooney1000

posted on 28/3/04 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
yes you do need an mot for a Q plate.
Yes you do need an MOT in the first 3 years even if the car has an age related plate unless you have proof that the major components have been reconditioned proffessionally.

You can get insurance on a new kit without a chassis number. you have have to create one, insure it under this then within 30 days notify them of the registration number. as for losing your premium, pay monthly.
Thats what i have done

matt_claydon

posted on 28/3/04 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kitlooney1000
Yes you do need an MOT in the first 3 years even if the car has an age related plate unless you have proof that the major components have been reconditioned proffessionally.

This is not true any more (see link above). Obviously no-one can confirm this for definite except by speaking to DVLA at Swansea, but it has been published on TotalKitCar and in one or other of the mainstream kit mags, so I doubt it's bollox. My car is fully legally registered without an MOT and since the date of first reg is down as Nov 2003 on the V5, how could anyone argue that it's not less that three years old?

The only rule where professional reconditioning comes in is that for a brand new registration you are allowed ONE component that has been reconditioned to as-new stardard.

Matt.

paulf

posted on 29/3/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I rung the enquiry number for Northampton a few months ago and was told by a welsh sounding person that i can make up my own 17 digit number.I have since found out that the enquiry number is a swansea office that deals with northants area.
I made up a vin and put it on the car and SVA application form. I am now having a problem with someone trying to use my donor identity and need to have an inspection by the local office. After much ringing around and being transfered from one department to another i got the Swansea help desk to get the local inspector to contact me. He arranged to come out and check the car as i told him it was not yet finished .He then told me he would be able to issue a vin at the same time and i can NOT use a made up one.,However he did not turn up for the appointment which was three weeks ago tommorow as he was off sick, and i am still waiting for him to make another appointment and cant contact except through Swansea.
In the mean time i have nearly built a trailer so may end up just taking the car to Northampton.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
NOrthampton expect you to take the car to them.

1. the correct order is get a vin from local VRO - no vin = no insurance. Put it on the car
3. take to SVA after booking with DVLA
4. tkae your details with MAC pass cert to local VRO - they give you a reg.

Anyone disagree?

atb

steve

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 30/3/04 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
my order was: built car, got vin number, insured on vin number, drove to mot, waiting for SVA!

[Edited on 30/3/04 by scotlad]

Hellfire

posted on 30/3/04 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
We're in the process of booking our SVA. Beverley @ this present moment in time have 4 weeks wait

Good luck Scotlad!

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 30/3/04 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
im still waiting from date from VOSA- called the SVA centre at Glasgow and they say its about a week waiting time so..... fingies crossed it wont be long. aaarghhh its sooooo tempting having it in the driveway!!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.