Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Not mentioned in IVA manual?? Subjective failure...
Findlay234

posted on 21/10/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Not mentioned in IVA manual?? Subjective failure...

A thread ive started in the engines forum made me think about the number of failure points that are based on the subjective view of the tester. I think its things like this that worry me for the test. Using the manual is one thing but if there are subjective points to the test you can never be certain of passing first time.... and would mean you build your car to pass certain IVA centres.... such as beverley insisting on doubly securing the mushroom insert on sierra stubs....

And yes I do understand that the tester probably has a lot more experience than some.

How many on here have failed from subjective points that arent stated in the manual? Are they completely happy with these failure points?

cheers

Bluemoon

posted on 21/10/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid there is little that can be done about it, I think there might be an appeal procedure?

The thing about it is that the tester has to be able to use his common sense, and that's subjective... If I was a tester I would be asking the question, would I let my son/daughter drive the car, after all the next person to by it will not be the builder...

Without the element of judgment like that you could have really doggy car that will pass as it's technically correct but is down right dangerous..

The real problem I have with this is you can't talk directly to the SVA center anymore.. This is a problem as you can't clarify anything before the test, i.e. ask if your particular kit has known issues that are likely to come up.. Obviously this will probably not help for a scratch build car...

Personally I found the SVA very good and fair in fact the tester insisted on some lock nuts on the rear hub carrier that the manufacture did not mention and I am very glad he did! It would have failed If I hadn't fixed it on the spot.

Dan

[Edited on 21/10/09 by Bluemoon]

tegwin

posted on 21/10/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Its ok if you have a tester who knows what he is talking about....

But when the tester starts arguing about the structural design of the chassis... its not good... I know for a fact he was not qualified in any way to be making such statements... Especially on a well known chassis from a well known manufacturer..

I swear the tester I had must have been abused as a child!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

iank

posted on 21/10/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
There is an appeals process you can go through if you aren't happy with the result of your test.

The form you need to complete is IVA 17
Here -> http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/Individual%20Vehicle%20Approval%20Notice%20of%20Appeal%20(IVA%2017).doc

If it's just one tester at one station that's failing something and other stations/testers are happy you are probably going to get a good hearing, of if they decide it's a bit dodgy then all the centres will at least be realigned and made consistent.

However the tester is well within their rights to fail anything that, in their opinion, is unsafe.

Read the General Construction section (page 253 of the July Manual pdf file) especially Required standard 3 and the associated Note 2.

The manual obviously can't be expected to cover all possible methods people choose to use for construction of their car, and just because a manufacturer sells it to you like that doesn't mean it's safe.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

f1ngers

posted on 21/10/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
One fail (on many) that really pee'd me off at SVA was the tester insisted that the indicators must be amber (meaning lenses) and that clear lenses with amber bulbs was a fail

"9.1 An obligatory lamp is not of the correct colour (Front indicators must be amber)"

I pointed out to him that most modern cars have clear lenses with amber bulbs but he would not accept my arguement and failed me anyway.
The IVA manual is the same as the SVA manual in this respect and just states that
"All indicators must emit amber light."

The test centre was Southampton by the way and I have my retest tomorrow!

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/10/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mine failed the speedo test. This was because my speed was measured from a single driveshaft, but the measuring machine measured the average of both rear wheels.

Pretty annoying.

I was polite, they had some time, and we found a solution (they drove around the centre behind an approved vehicle and shouting!).

I think that a first time pass is difficult, and that some test centres are very harsh. I wouldn't bother going to Southampton (from what I have read on here).

Matt

chrsgrain

posted on 21/10/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I went to Southampton, and they were fair, polite, gave me time to fix things that could be fixed (like weeping rear brake caliper connections and sharp bits on projections), and gave me advice about things that couldn't be fixed there and then, like the speedo (turned out to be a dodgy earth)..... there one or two bits I thought they were a bit overzealous about, which weren't safety critical, but those bits were in the rules!

Overall, certainly not worth going miles out of your way to get another centre - maybe if you're half way between Soton and another place, try the other one.... but its likely to be just as 'bad'!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/10/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Had my test at Gillingham in Kent. My first test and the tester said my steering wheel was not type approved, radius were ok.

On my retest i was already to fit my Sierra steering wheel after passing all the other bits. Tester says oh dont bother that wheel is not a fail anyway.... WTF either it is a fail or it isn't.

Think they just make it up as they go along.

Then the next car they passed on Noise test even tho it was several decibels above the limit.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mad-butcher

posted on 26/10/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Matt
mine was the same on the speedo, but he just disengaged one side of the rollers

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
reme101

posted on 27/10/09 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Think they just make it up as they go along.

Then the next car they passed on Noise test even tho it was several decibels above the limit.

Unless you were actually holding the db meter I would recommend that you don’t make defamatory remarks that you cant substantiate in court.

cd.thomson

posted on 27/10/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reme101
Unless you were actually holding the db meter I would recommend that you don’t make defamatory remarks that you cant substantiate in court.

LOL

Craig

Ben_Copeland

posted on 27/10/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reme101[/I]

I was there and saw. Plus I was told by the tester and owner.
Didn't need to hold it.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.