Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spitting back through carb mouths
bonerp

posted on 23/4/04 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Spitting back through carb mouths

Hi,
I have Twin DHLA 40s on my Tiger Cat (pinto) and it spits back through the mouths of the carbs.

I know I need to get it set up on the rolling road but I understand this is basically down to it running weak.

Can anyone guide me as to maybe trying to adjust this out a bit prior to having a rr session. I know jets etc might need changing but if theres anything I could do I may as well try.

I have not tuned carbs before so clear instructions pls!?!

By the way the car seems to run ok on the road, maybe a little hesitant when getting on the gas though.

Paul

[Edited on 23/4/04 by bonerp]

NS Dev

posted on 23/4/04 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I've emailed you a basic carb setup instruction sheet which I use, written by Dave Andrews
britishtrident

posted on 23/4/04 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
First thing to check is the carb bolts aren't over tightened ---20 to 25 thou gap at the thackery spring washers.

Then check all the jets are clear and tightened down properly..
Particularly check the accelerator pump jets are clear and working.
Then synch the carbs and do the idle mixture setting -- with one choke per cylinder engines I use a colour tune to find the initial idele mixture screw setting for each barrel -- then adjust as required equally on all cylinders.

If it spitting back it indicates a weak mixture so in addition to the above check the float height and that fuel is flowin freely into the float chambers.

macspeedy

posted on 23/4/04 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
i heard that if the exhaust is restrictive it can cause this..
NS Dev

posted on 23/4/04 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
As I mentioned further up the thread, I stongly suggest anybody trying to set up webers or dellortos uses this link>>http://hometown.aol.com/DVAndrews/index.htm

This will get you going much quicker than messing about any other way!!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/4/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
dave ashurst of this parish nearly lost his car in a big fire when his carbs spat back and set the foam filter alight.

beware

atb

steve

bonerp

posted on 26/4/04 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I had the car set up by a mobile tuning bloke ages ago so the emissions were ok.

On Friday I richened it up a lot but it still tends to spt back through the 4th cylinder, but not as bad.

Also it hesitates a little when getting on the gas which suggests it does in fact need rejetting via a rolling road session so as soon as I have a bung spare I will book it in.

Got me round Castle Coombe on Saturday though (£30 for 5 laps!!!!! WTF??!?!?!). Excellent on track although did understeer a tad and think tracking may be out a little.

Paul

NS Dev

posted on 26/4/04 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
how'd you get on with Dave Andrews sheet?
bonerp

posted on 27/4/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
NS,
As above
But then the trouble is number 4 cylinder and thats the one I tried to polish/port! I need a new head anyhow so will get it rolling road tested once I get the new head on I thunk!

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.