Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA on Tuesday - Fuel filler cap question
rb968

posted on 22/5/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
IVA on Tuesday - Fuel filler cap question

Just been round the car again getting ready for Tuesday and am having a panic about my filler cap.

Its lockable but you can remove the key when the cap is removed by essentially lockming the cap out of the filler body.

So I realise it needs to be tethered (stupid oversight I know!)

My question is I have been right through the IVA manual and can't find reference to a reducer for unleaded I thought you may need. This thread indicates it might not be specified for IVA as it was for SVA?Linky

Can any one clarify? If it is needed I can get one turned up tomorrow AND drill a hole in it to tether the cap to. If so what size should it be? If not where should I thether the cap to?
The cap has a little hoop on the underside I can thread a piece of throttle cable through. Can't really drill the body of the filler as this will surely allow fuel fumes out?

Feel a right idiot missing this until now!

Rich

[Edited on 22/5/11 by rb968]

big_wasa

posted on 22/5/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression it was no longer needed due to no leaded being available ?

dont just take my word for it

snapper

posted on 22/5/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Engine age decides wether unleadedadaptor is needed, I suspect yes, to tether the cap a large bolt and some push bike cable attached to thecap and dropped into the tank, enough cable together the cap off.
As for unleaded adaptor, measure the fuel pump spout in your local fuel stop.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Daddylonglegs

posted on 22/5/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same issue, I need to tether the cap. I was going to drill a hole in the rolled-over lip on the filler neck, does yours not have a lip?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

rb968

posted on 22/5/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Snapper, I can't find anything age related for the unleaded restrictor in the IVA manual.

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I have seen them in the CBS catalogue but no reference to the test?

Think I can drill a small hole in the cerrated bit the fuel hose fits over and loop a bit of throttle/bike cable round and through the underside of the cap so the tether bit I can sort out.

Looking at the cap can't see an easy way to fit a restrictor anyway. I would have to epoxy it in.

Rich

stevegough

posted on 22/5/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Rest easy-

Point no.1: if you can't remove the key when the cap is out, that is deemed compliant for IVA. (Ok, you can remove the key by locking the cap out of the filler socket, but that isn't a problem).

Point no.2: I can also confirm that the former requirement for the unleaded reducer was dropped over a year ago. (However, some parts suppliers, Europa and CBS were still suppyling these when I IVA'd in december - they probably still are now? - Ignore them, and read the manual.

Good luck with the IVA on tuesday.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

rb968

posted on 22/5/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Steve sir you are the man!

Knowing you recently went through this nonsense I appreciate the advice.

Panic averted......well apart from all the other things !

Thanks to all as ever.

Rich

stevegough

posted on 22/5/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Looking back on the IVA tests, I have a very different view of it - yes, you are right, there is a fair bit of nonsense in it, but there was a couple of issues that were picked up - one in particular (on the steering) - that could have killed me if left as I presented it.

It was also an extreme challenge ( to me, anyway) to build my car to a standard that stood up to close scrutiny.

Enjoy your test, the guys doing the testing seem to be, generally, quite decent and almost human!!

Luego Locost C20XE.

rb968

posted on 22/5/11 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I agree of course, in fact the radiusing of parts is probably the biggest pain and what seems nonsense in some areas. I wish I had though about it more as things were coming together.

We all like to think we know what we are doing but it will be nice to hear that it has all turned out right and safe.

Just looking forward to after 2 1/2 years ! Feels like forever.

Rich

stevegough

posted on 22/5/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968
I agree of course, in fact the radiusing of parts is probably the biggest pain and what seems nonsense in some areas. I wish I had though about it more as things were coming together.

We all like to think we know what we are doing but it will be nice to hear that it has all turned out right and safe.

Just looking forward to after 2 1/2 years ! Feels like forever.

Rich

took me 2 and a quarter ys, but it will all be worth it when the hot summer comes stormin' in - supposed to be in the 90s in june and july!!

Luego Locost C20XE.

40inches

posted on 22/5/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
2 and a bit years you have only just started, can't have finished already

Davegtst

posted on 22/5/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't know about the restrictor not being needed anymore. Cheers, saved me a few quid.
martyn_16v

posted on 24/5/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Rest easy-

Point no.1: if you can't remove the key when the cap is out, that is deemed compliant for IVA. (Ok, you can remove the key by locking the cap out of the filler socket, but that isn't a problem).

Yes, it is (or can be depending on your tester). My tester decided that being able to take the key out of the cap only after 'locking' it off the car was a fail, and I have to tether the cap. Like anyone is actually going to do that...

I just looped a bit of thin electrical cable through a convenient plastic loop on the cap, and wedged it in the join between the fuel cap and filler pipe. Job done, straight back off when I got home.

stevegough

posted on 25/5/11 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, to hear your tester wasn't playing the game, Martin, but to quote from the manual......

The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap

I think he was out of order, but then its not a great idea to argue with them, is it?

Luego Locost C20XE.

martyn_16v

posted on 25/5/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I didn't agree with it either but apart from that he was really friendly and helpful, and it wasn't exactly difficult to 'fix'. If it had been the only thing I was failing on it might have been different, but by then I had a bit of a list anyway.

I'm glad that that's about the closest I got to a 'grumpy anal tester' experience, from the horror stories you hear I was half expecting to have the car scattered across the floor of the testing station by the end of the day, having heated arguments about the provenance of every single nut and bolt. As it was, proof of engine age for emissions went as far as me saying 'er, 92?'. Lovely

[Edited on 25/5/11 by martyn_16v]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.