Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best aeroscreen for non-helmet driving.
bobinspain

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Best aeroscreen for non-helmet driving.

Time to seek advice again.
I've specced an "aeroscreen," but since I don't wish to pootle around Spain perpetually crash-helmeted, can owners of MKs, similarly equipped advise me if that's sufficient.
I want minimalist (to a degree), however, I don't want to collide, full frontal with a hornet the size of a pterodactyl.
My wet-weather driving skills in a bec are likely to be non-existent, so I don't need weather gear, just a modicum of protection from the wind and whatever it may carry.
Fair weather driver/golfer and wuss that I am.

jacko

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I have a copy of westfield type aeroscreen and its not to bad if that helps
Jacko

Side of engine N/S
Side of engine N/S

[Edited on 3/8/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davegtst

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you've speced an aeroscreen surely you'll get the mk one. I've got one from carbon mods that in my opinion looks like it would do the job better. Only my opinion though as I haven't tried it yet.
loggyboy

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Any aeroscreen of anysize (thats not a windscreen!) will do little against grit, stones and large insects. Your better off with some sizeable googles or a full face helmet.
bobinspain

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
If you've speced an aeroscreen surely you'll get the mk one. I've got one from carbon mods that in my opinion looks like it would do the job better. Only my opinion though as I haven't tried it yet.

I have Dave, but since I'm only 10 days into the 8/10 week build schedule, I can be specific if I want a particular item, (at a cost of course).
I have picked out one or two cosmetic niceties from cars I've seen and owners I've contacted by email.
For instance, I really like the look of the 'one-off' Dragon vinyl-wrap that Gavin had on his Indy. I've asked for that to be reproduced for my car. I want predominantly white, as a black car out her would roast in the sun and absorb all heat and reflect none. etc etc.
If you are interested in what spec I've gone for, then please U2U me and I'll gladly let you have a larf at what a near-pensioner has gone for. As I said, "there's no fool like an old fool."

whitestu

posted on 3/8/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Any aeroscreen of anysize (thats not a windscreen!) will do little against grit, stones and large insects.

+1

I had an aeroscreen on my MK but now have a Caterham windscreen which is much better.

Stu

bobinspain

posted on 3/8/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Any aeroscreen of anysize (thats not a windscreen!) will do little against grit, stones and large insects. Your better off with some sizeable googles or a full face helmet.

That's what I'm trying to discover, whether the aero will provide any protection whatsoever. I note some cars are fitted with a half-way-house screen about 4"-6" high.
To be honest, insects are the problem out here. I've driven many a mile out here in the last 10 years, and not a single stone-chip or impact, (unlike the A12 in Essex where it was a problem of some sort every other month).
In the summer out here, it'll be a ball-acher to swelter in a helmet.

norfolkluego

posted on 3/8/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't want to wear a helmet (and I can see why in Spain), for gods sake get a full screen. The first time something hits you in 10 years might be the one that does some serious damage to you, can't see an aero screen deflecting anything other than small insects
Worzey

posted on 3/8/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you get hit in the face by a wasp at 70Mph it really stings!

If you want to go helmet-less at the very least get some ballistic goggles to protect your eyes. Some of the Oakley's look really cool.

Having spent 3 years driving around in a full face helmet I'm surprised how frequently I get hit by insects and small stones/rocks. I wouldn't want to drive without the helmet personally.

Caterham R400

JF

posted on 3/8/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've got no experience driving a 7 with an aeroscreen. But I do really enjoy being out and about on my motorbike. And yes I always do wear my helmet, but usually with the visor up. It's an offroad touring helmet, but I only use the visor for things like rain or high speed bouts. I do however always wear some protective glasses specially designed for motorbike use. With exchangeable glasses to suit the weather.

And yes I do get hit in the face by insects and the like, and yes it hurts, like hell at times. But it is oh so worth it to have the wind in your face.

One time though I got caught in a light hailstorm while on the motorway with an open faced cross helmet (with goggles) and it brought me to tears.

It's all about how you use it. But I'd always advise wearing some sort of eye protection, I really think it saved my sight on more then 1 occasion.

bobinspain

posted on 3/8/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think the compromise is to wear goggles and flying helmet for starters and keep the skid-lid as backup. I have a quad-bike for trips to the pub/beach and some mental Biggles type goggles. I look a total prat, but hey !
I have a splendid pair of ski-glasses with leather nose-bridge and side-patches, (Hitler Youth). They do the trick with my open faced helmet. Again, not a picture of sartorial elegance, but who cares.
Many thanks for the inputs.

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/8/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have done nearly 20K in 6 years without an aeroscreen or helmet, but I do have a good pair of impact resistant goggles because I do enjoy looking out of my eyes. The other parts of my face I can take or leave.

If you are of a particularly nervous disposition, Volvo do a particularly safe range of cars.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

bobinspain

posted on 3/8/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Jacko

Side of engine N/S
Side of engine N/S

Thanks Jacko. That looks pretty cool. Do you drive the car with or without helmet?
Whilst I can see sense in fitting a screen, the fact is, it'll be a 99% dry weather car, so I can't see the point of going through the rigmarole of fitting windscreen, which means wipers and washers and yet another thing to give the ITV (Spanish MOT) folk a further opportunity to fail me on.

Davegtst

posted on 3/8/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
My carbon mods one looks very similar to that one. Be aware they don't fit perfectly on an indy and they need a bit of chopping about partly due to the indy panel not being symetrical.
jacko

posted on 4/8/11 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Jacko

Side of engine N/S
Side of engine N/S

Thanks Jacko. That looks pretty cool. Do you drive the car with or without helmet?
Whilst I can see sense in fitting a screen, the fact is, it'll be a 99% dry weather car, so I can't see the point of going through the rigmarole of fitting windscreen, which means wipers and washers and yet another thing to give the ITV (Spanish MOT) folk a further opportunity to fail me on.

Hi
I drive both with and without a helmet but without i always use goggles it would be very daft not too stones hurt a lot
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.