Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sold a car with a fault
cd.thomson

posted on 22/12/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
sold a car with a fault

Hi guys, merry christmas! Sorry I've been off the radar - exams every 6 weeks have taken me out of the garage to say the least.

I've come to the font of all knowledge for some non-locost car advice.

I sold a saxo recently (a month ago) with a couple of obvious issues (engine warning light was on, citroen couldn't find any fault recorded and clutch was heavy). I was honest with the sale and sold the car for what it was worth. No warranty was agreed verbally or written. I confirmed everything with the buyer in writing and he drove it off, texting me that everything was okay once he got home.

Woke up to a text this morning threatening me with small claims court if I don't refund him 50% of the sale because the rear axle needs replacing. There were no signs of rear axle failure when I sold the car, or before the buyer took it to the garage and no advisories on the last MOT or the standard citroen healthcheck. There was no way I could have been aware of the fault at the point of sale.

Does anybody know the legalities of this situation? I have a niggling feeling that any fault that develops within 3 months of sale of a car are assumed to be there before sale and therefore I do have some responsibility to reimburse the buyer but I can't find this rule on the 'net at the minute.

P.S. I have all the information necessary to prove my engine age now on the Dax, and it's going for test in the new year

Craig

jabs

posted on 22/12/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Check this http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_legalrights.html

Private

If you buy privately, you won't be protected legally if the car doesn't come up to scratch. It's up to you to ask the right questions and have the car thoroughly inspected before you buy.

Safeguards Essentially it's a case of 'Buyer Beware'. As the onus is on you to make sure the car is sound, it's a good idea to get an independent engineer to give the car a thorough mechanical inspection.

Hidden past Then, there are past owners to consider. You could opt for an AA Car Data Check, which will let you know if there's outstanding finance on the car, or even if it has a shady history.

Your legal rights are limited and unscrupulous dealers often masquerade as private sellers, so beware.

The only legal terms that cover a private sale contract are:

the seller must have the right to sell the car
the vehicle should not be misrepresented
it should match its description:
for example, if the ad states that there is a valid MOT, there should be a valid MOT.

cd.thomson

posted on 22/12/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot for that jabs.

Craig

mookaloid

posted on 22/12/11 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I think that the 3 month thing only applies of you are a trader. Tell the chap it was sold as seen and you'd be happy to let the court decide who is correct.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

cd.thomson

posted on 22/12/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Love the new avatar mook

Craig

twybrow

posted on 22/12/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Sale of Car by Private Seller

"You do not have as many legal rights when you buy from a private individual. A private seller only has to describe the car correctly. He is not responsible for faults." - Hants Trading Standard website

"If you buy a car from a private seller or at a car auction for traders, you have fewer rights. The car only has to:

match the description given by the seller
be theirs to sell, eg the car isn't stolen or owned by a finance company because the car loan hasn't been paid off." - DirectGov website

So in summary, tell him to go whistle. As long as you described the car correctly at the time of sale, then you are in the clear. Let him try to take you to the samll claims court if he wants - you will win.

r1_pete

posted on 22/12/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
If he goes to court he will have to prove that you knowingly sold him the car with a rear axle fault, which you intentionally covered up, the burden of proof is with the occuser, not the burden of proof of inocence with the 'accused'.

Tell him to bring it on, all he has to loose is about another £600.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 22/12/11 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've missed this place!

Hope everyone is well, thanks for all the information.

Craig

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/12/11 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I am no legal expert, but you say you confirmed everything in writing. So you hopefully have kept copies?
The evidence of the previous MoT and citroen healthcheck should support you. And as long as you are not a trader or mechanic, I am certain you have nothing to worry about.

that aside, I get the feeling small claims courts are largely in favour of individuals when up against big companies, but here I think they really will want proof that you were out to deceive.

mcerd1

posted on 22/12/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
as above you've nothing to worry about

assuming he's claiming it has the usial rear axle problem then it should have been quite obvious if its that bad - it ends up with huge abounts of negative camber when the needle rollers fall apart!
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
Hi guys, merry christmas! Sorry I've been off the radar - exams every 6 weeks have taken me out of the garage to say the least..............

............P.S. I have all the information necessary to prove my engine age now on the Dax, and it's going for test in the new year

your a brave man, exams 3 times a year was more than I could handle

good luck with the IVA this time round, at least you know what your up against

[Edited on 22/12/2011 by mcerd1]

-

cd.thomson

posted on 22/12/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I still have your IVA bars mate! I think I'll buy you a brand spanking new set from Dax, u2u me your address and I'll get that sorted when they open up again.

I'll let you know how I get on

Craig

mcerd1

posted on 22/12/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
^^ don't worry about the bars, I'm along way of needing them yet....

I'm well on the way to finishing my new shed though:
New_Shed
New_Shed

I've added most of the floor since that pic and the doors are getting welded up now

-

MikeRJ

posted on 22/12/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Another chancer trying it on; it's amazing how many people these days are unable to accept responsibility for their own incompetence.

Ignore any further contact from him, he simply doesn't have a leg to stand on.

mark chandler

posted on 22/12/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like he wants a bit of cash for Christmas

He is happy with the car or he would be trying to return.

Benzine

posted on 22/12/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
welcome back ^_^

lol @ the chap who bought it sending a text about court. A text XD

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Toprivetguns

posted on 22/12/11 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
A simple phone call, rather than a gutless text message would of been better.

If you drew up a quick contract stating SOLD AS SEEN, your fine. Do not worry.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

RichardK

posted on 22/12/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Tell him to go and boil his head and you'll see him in court, bloody chancers wind me up.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

Brook_lands

posted on 22/12/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
As a private sale he has very little come back. From what you have said you have done more than most in describing the car and recording the transaction. Other than the occasional perversity of the Judge on the day you would be very unlikely to loose in the small claim court and then there is the question of whether a 50% refund is reasonable recompense, after all they have had use of the car in the meantime.

If you want to be proactive and have an address or email very politely write to him saying that he purchased the car in a private sale, that the car was accurately described and that all faults known to you at the time of the sale were identified and that unless you receive court papers in the next 7 days (or may be 10 as it is Christmas) then you will consider the matter closed.

[Edited on 22/12/11 by Brook_lands]

mookaloid

posted on 22/12/11 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
Love the new avatar mook

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Humbug

posted on 22/12/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brook_lands
As a private sale he has very little come back. From what you have said you have done more than most in describing the car and recording the transaction. Other than the occasional perversity of the Judge on the day you would be very unlikely to loose in the small claim court and then there is the question of whether a 50% refund is reasonable recompense, after all they have had use of the car in the meantime.

If you want to be proactive and have an address or email very politely write to him saying that he purchased the car in a private sale, that the car was accurately described and that all faults known to you at the time of the sale were identified and that unless you receive court papers in the next 7 days (or may be 10 as it is Christmas) then you will consider the matter closed.

[Edited on 22/12/11 by Brook_lands]

+1, and I would add links to the relevant websites as posted above.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/12/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
A simple phone call, rather than a gutless text message would of been better.

If you drew up a quick contract stating SOLD AS SEEN, your fine. Do not worry.

It makes no difference, providing he did not deliberately lie about the cars condition then he has nothing to worry about.

Simon

posted on 22/12/11 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Caveat Emptor is all you know to know

Wiki Linki

ATB

Simon

cd.thomson

posted on 22/12/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have done all the above, and even told him to get some legal advice before he starts the process but he wont hear it. "It's not about the money its about the principle".

I'd completely agree with him if I'd been aware it had a bad axle, I would have scrapped it instead.

Off to court I go!

Craig

scootz

posted on 22/12/11 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry Craig - the vast majority of folk who come out with that sort of thing don't take it any further.

It's unfortunate for all concerned, but these things happen!

It's Evolution Baby!

cd.thomson

posted on 22/12/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
How are you doing Scootz? The white coats managed to make your back any better?

Craig

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.