Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tax disc stolen / new location ?
Autosri

posted on 25/5/12 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Tax disc stolen / new location ?

Been cleaning the car today and found out somebody has stolen the tax disc off the window so been reported to police but still a little fed up but what can you do

So that leads to the question where have you put your tax disk in you kit cars all I can find on the direct gov site is preferably on the window but can be on the curb side of the veichle

Thanks guys

loggyboy

posted on 25/5/12 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
keep it in your wallet, 99% of tax check is done electronically now anyway.
We called in a car that was untaxed on my wifes parents steet a few years back, the DLVA told us it was ok as it was taxed, even the the one displayed showed it was out by 6 months. They didnt care at all!

Mistral Motorsport

Davg

posted on 25/5/12 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of quid gets you a tamper proof holder of the Bay of E. or use a bike tax disc holder bolted on. Not to say some little scrote wont unbolt it but less likely.

cheers
D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Ashurst

posted on 25/5/12 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is in a motorbike tax disc holder, bolted through the scuttle on the kerb side of the car.
Same system for 10 years and has been no problem.

jollygreengiant

posted on 25/5/12 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
The legal location for the VED Disc (Vehicle Excise Duty) is 'No more than 7" (Seven Inches) up on the Nearside edge of the Windscreen'.

I don't think there is a 'Legal' location for vehicles without a windscreen (although someone on here wil probably know differently) except that it should be displayed to the Nearside of the vehicle.

edit bit

The Police used to prosecute a driver for 'Failure to Display a current Tax disc' not for failure to own one.

[Edited on 25/5/12 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Westy1994

posted on 25/5/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same thing happen last year, although I had mine fastened inside one of those alloy holders that they use on motorbikes, this was then fastened to the car with a builders type coach bolt, so no head slot or method of undoing was easy, unless you took all dash off to get to the nut on the back.

Never stopped them though, they just snapped the alloy holder off at the point it narrows.

Costs £7 for a replacement tax disc as well, not to mention the time off the road, the poilce said I would be unable to drive it as there was no tax disc on show, despite the car still having over 5 months tax to run !!!!!!!!!!!!, how stupid is that.........

I ended up getting another alloy type ( as they are waterproof), and instead of using just the bracket to mount it, I cut the bracket off and used the bolt holes you use to insert the disc into the holder and fasten that to the car, again using hidden head screws and hard to get to the otherside to remove it, took me two hours just to fit it. They would now have to get a grinder and cut a hole out to remove it.

I think because of 'our' cars open nature, any form of disc holder has to be at risk.

owelly

posted on 25/5/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I laminate mine and attached it to my battery isolator key ring. I did have a dash made from clear perspex but the reverse side of it was sprayed black so it looked black and shiny from the front. During spraying it, I left an old tax disc blu-tac'd to the back and that was my tax disc holder. To change it, you had to put your arm up behind the dash and find a slot in the back of the scuttle.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 25/5/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have used the tamper proof discs for years. Removing them is a bit of a pain but nice and secure.

Linky here

- Jim

Peteff

posted on 25/5/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
On my bike I have always glued the disc into the holder so it would have to be destroyed to remove it. I used the same method on the Locost.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

D Beddows

posted on 25/5/12 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I did have a dash made from clear perspex but the reverse side of it was sprayed black so it looked black and shiny from the front. During spraying it, I left an old tax disc blu-tac'd to the back and that was my tax disc holder. To change it, you had to put your arm up behind the dash and find a slot in the back of the scuttle.

I have to say that is a rather wonderful idea!! obviously rather hard to do retrospectively but even so!

blakep82

posted on 25/5/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
quote:

I did have a dash made from clear perspex but the reverse side of it was sprayed black so it looked black and shiny from the front. During spraying it, I left an old tax disc blu-tac'd to the back and that was my tax disc holder. To change it, you had to put your arm up behind the dash and find a slot in the back of the scuttle.

I have to say that is a rather wonderful idea!! obviously rather hard to do retrospectively but even so!

cut a hole in the dash, and stick a bit of perspex beind the hole, maybe? i might do that actually... i've got some spare holes in the dash needing filling...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 25/5/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Keep it in your wallet as said.
Failing to display carries a small fine i believe which in my years of dealing with the dvla and doing operations with them they never once bothered about it and merely checked to see if a vehicle. was currently taxed.
In this day and age with modern technology its so easy to check that the disc itself has almost become immaterial, the same with insurance which is why you can just print your certificate from home now.

snapper

posted on 25/5/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Why would anyone nick a tax disc, as said its all electronic, if you use someone else's disc you'll still get nicked for no disc, failing to display and attempted fraud.
I use bike tax disc holder attached to mirror stem

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

David Jenkins

posted on 25/5/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
This is where I used to have my disc - it was a bike disc holder with the mounting arm cut off. Six holes were drilled into the scuttle and the whole thing fixed with hex-head bolts and nylok nuts behind.
Rescued attachment DSCF0001.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0001.JPG

Now I've got a windscreen, so I use one of these: Secur-i-disc (the round black one). It's quite hard to get it off the screen in the first place, and if you try to get the covering film off you'll trash the disc completely.

[Edited on 25/5/12 by David Jenkins]

Westy1994

posted on 25/5/12 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thats exactly what I did David, unless you have a grinder to hand, its hard to steal.

Like you I have now re-fitted a full screen from aero, so keep the posts coming as to the best methods

Westy1994

posted on 25/5/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Why would anyone nick a tax disc, as said its all electronic, if you use someone else's disc you'll still get nicked for no disc, failing to display and attempted fraud.

I don't really know to be honest, as you say its all checkable at the click of a mouse these days, all I can assume though, they stole it to either fool any police or whoever when walking past, or sold it... Who knows what these losers do with them !!!!.

Autosri

posted on 25/5/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper

thanks for all the surgestions guys i have ordered a motorbike style one to try and mount somewhere

the only reasons i see is can you still cash them in or is that not possible now or maybe stick it in your car and at a glance it still has a current tax disk as the date is in large print but the reg number is small so not as noticable

Westy1994

posted on 25/5/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think they can cash them in, I asked this question when I contacted DVLA as I was concerned they may have done that - it was about a week till I noticed it missing , the car reg number is registered to my house, so by cashing it in, they would just be sending ME the money and not the folks who nicked it.

If you dont mind drilling 6 small 5mm holes in your car as myself and David Jenkins had done , then do that if you can, failing that hide it inside the car out of view, I am sure the police or whoever must get this a lot with our cars.

johnwilders

posted on 25/5/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
How about sticking it under a bit of anti chip film on the side of the body.
MikeRJ

posted on 25/5/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Now I've got a windscreen, so I use one of these: Secur-i-disc (the round black one). It's quite hard to get it off the screen in the first place, and if you try to get the covering film off you'll trash the disc completely.

I don't understand how these prevent the disc being stolen if it's possible for you to peel it off the windscreen?

owelly

posted on 25/5/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
You can see mine to the side of this piccy..

[Edited on 25/5/12 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 26/5/12 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

I don't understand how these prevent the disc being stolen if it's possible for you to peel it off the windscreen?

Yes your right Mike, they don't work, I had one fitted on my Aries when I bought it, I peeled it off, it did not damage the tax disc at all, I am going to fit it in a motorcycle type holder now.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 4/6/12 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Which is worst: having a tax disc but not displaying it, or having a tax disc, keeping it somewhere safe and displaying a photocopy of it?
David Jenkins

posted on 4/6/12 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Yes your right Mike, they don't work, I had one fitted on my Aries when I bought it, I peeled it off, it did not damage the tax disc at all, I am going to fit it in a motorcycle type holder now.

You can peel it off the screen - with difficulty - but you can't get at the disc to change the lettering or whatever. No, it doesn't prevent some pillock from nicking it, but it does stop them 're-using' it on another car.

Hellfire

posted on 4/6/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
We have fixed ours to the rear bulkhead between the seats using bolts. To get to the nuts securing it, you have to be able to access the boot.

Richbrook
Richbrook

Tax Disc
Tax Disc

Phil

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.