Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing the No. of seats in the Tax book?
Benzo

posted on 5/12/12 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Changing the No. of seats in the Tax book?

Hi guys,

Im looking at putting my Fuel tank in the Passengers seat area on my Westie..

I want to still be able to MOT the Car, and if the tank is installed there then obviously ill not be able to put the a seat in there.

Could i change the tax book so the car isnt listed as having 2 seats but 1?

I assume it wont pass MOT if the tax book says it has 2 seats and i only rock up to the MOT centre with 1 fitted?

Rather as little messing around at MOT time as possible! and generally, i only take myself out for a blast anyway!

[Edited on 5/12/12 by Benzo]

bigfoot4616

posted on 6/12/12 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
don't think it will matter, i often used to mot a car with no rear seats fitted. all the tester said was it saved him checking the rear belts. would think the same will apply to front passenger seat.
Jimfin

posted on 6/12/12 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I may regret this but I have to ask - why would you want to????????

Personally, I can see nothing but negative consequences for this change, the work to do it, the cost of a new fuel tank/cell, future salability and the safety aspect of sharing the area with a tank etc.

Technically, so long as it were properly secure, had no leaks and had a locking filler cap, it could pass an MOT but interestingly, would not pass MSA scrutineering for a motorsport event.

If you do make the change, not sure what how the MOT tester would know how many seats were supposed to be there as you do not produce the V5C for am MOT.

Benzo

posted on 6/12/12 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
For weight distribution & to get a Lower cog..

Should have mentioned also I'm in n.ireland so out mot centres are official dvla run centres with thorough test and no chance of a box of beer helping thing.. Also pretty sure we have to take our v5 to the mot to check chassis no. Etc so no. Of seats could be easily checked!

mark chandler

posted on 6/12/12 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Seats do not need to be the same, just leave the belt mountings and use a go-cart seat or chop up a school child's seat and bolt on top for the MOT.

If you baffle and trap the tank you can keep it with a low profile, it will still need boxing in and some drain holes punching through the floor.

Do you race the car and need every millisecond ? It sounds like a lot of effort for minimal gains.

Benzo

posted on 6/12/12 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Seats do not need to be the same, just leave the belt mountings and use a go-cart seat or chop up a school child's seat and bolt on top for the MOT.

If you baffle and trap the tank you can keep it with a low profile, it will still need boxing in and some drain holes punching through the floor.

Do you race the car and need every millisecond ? It sounds like a lot of effort for minimal gains.

Yes the car is raced in a one engine series so every millisecond does matter! Chassis tuning is the only advantage to be had..

But I do like it running an mot as I can take it a blast up the dual carriage way on a Friday night before a race to check its doing as it should.

That's not a bad idea about the kart seat! So as long at the straps click together and there is a physically well mount 'seat' in there is will go through mot.

[Edited on 6/12/12 by Benzo]

Jimfin

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
If you can get access to some corner weights it would be worth having a dummy run on this before you start.

Having checked my own locost, the bottom of the fuel tank is 100mm higher than the floor. The lower CoG is pretty minimal as in a race I would expect you would have 10lt ? max so the maths on 10kg drop by 100mm is pretty small.

You need to also consider that the consequence of moving the tank will be to the left - but also forward. As the turning moment will be to move it in front of - instead of behind - the back axle, there will be a change in the front/rear balance and potential impact on traction.

Try the corner weights and use some bricks/blocks to simulate the change and see what it looks like.

As Mark says - you will need to make sure it is OK for MSA scrutineering if you are racing it -

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/13/142_150_Common_Regulations_for_Competitors_(Vehicles)_(J).pdf

Fuel Systems
5.13.1. Have any fuel lines passing through the
driver/passenger compartment protected and, if nonmetallic,
to be internally or externally metal braided
hydraulic pressure hose or fuel lines complying with
FIA specifications.
5.13.2. They may only be joined by screwed sealing
joints or vehicle manufacturers approved joint.
5.13.3. If fitted with fuel fillers in a closed boot, or under
closure, have collector/spill trays incorporated to drain
outside the vehicle.

Benzo

posted on 6/12/12 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
My chassis is currently getting built by a race engineer who I trust.. So I'm really only asking about the legalities not..

Thank you tho.. I appreciate what you are saying tho!

chillis

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
For hillclimbing and sprinting the MSA stipulate the fuel tank must be separated from the passenger compartment by a sealed firewall. Not sure how you will build a suitable firewall between you and the passenger seat position or how it could be easily removed for the MOT.
As for lowered CoG is the panhard not pulling the roll centre down?

[Edited on 6/12/12 by chillis]

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Benzo

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
For hillclimbing and sprinting the MSA stipulate the fuel tank must be separated from the passenger compartment by a sealed firewall. Not sure how you will build a suitable firewall between you and the passenger seat position or how it could be easily removed for the MOT.
As for lowered CoG is the panhard not pulling the roll centre down?

[Edited on 6/12/12 by chillis]

Most people just build an alloy cover to cover the tank, pumps and swirl pot.

Yes not sure how it will be easily adaptable for mot!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.