Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA fail
scoobyis2cool

posted on 27/9/04 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
SVA fail

Had my SVA this morning and unfortunately it failed

Still, it wasn't too bad, only really a couple of major-ish things that are concerning me:

My plastic fuel tank decided to wait until 7am this morning to split and start leaking everywhere! It was the first time i'd fully filled the tank so obviously the extra weight inside just pushed it over the edge. The tank came with my Indy deluxe kit so I'll get onto MK this afternoon...

The couldn't test the speedo because the needle kept "blipping". For example he got it levelled out at about 30 and suddenly it jumped to 40 and then back again. i personally didn't see this and haven't noticed it happen whilst driving, I can only think that the sensor mount might be a bit flimsy (aluminium), and could be bouncing around, messing up the reading. i'll replace it with something a bit more substantial...

Finally, my indicators were not far enough out towards the outer edges of the car, so I need to make up some spacers to lengthen them a bit. It'll take a bit of thought but I'm sure it can't be all that difficult. if anyone has done this before and would like to share their method then I'll be grateful

Other than those 3 failures it was just the odd radius to sort out and nut to tighten, all easy enough so overall I'm pretty chuffed!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 27/9/04 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
2 bits of black plastic 20mm conduit done the trick for my indicators- i failed on that too!
scoobyis2cool

posted on 27/9/04 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotlad
2 bits of black plastic 20mm conduit done the trick for my indicators- i failed on that too!

Wow, does that make us fail buddies or something? No, you're right, probably not...

Anyway, how exactly did you fix your conduit? Isn't it flexible or did you get something solid? What's the best way of fixing the indicators to the conduit and the conduit to the nose cone?

Cheers

Pete

[Edited on 27/9/04 by scoobyis2cool]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lightning

posted on 27/9/04 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I gave some to Northy for his test. In aluminium. If he isn't going to keep them he will probably send them to you.

Nice looking car BTW!

Steve

Northy

posted on 27/9/04 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Are these any good to you?

Send me your address Rescued attachment Ind extensions.jpg
Rescued attachment Ind extensions.jpg

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

scoobyis2cool

posted on 27/9/04 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Graham,

Yeah that's the kind of thing I'm after, I need them to be between 10cm and 15cm long, how long are yours?

How exactly are they made? My dad knows a few companies that could no doubt make something like that if you could give me a rough sketch or something, saves you the hassle of taking them off your car.

Cheers

Pete

Northy

posted on 27/9/04 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've already taken them off. I mean, they fell off.....

I'll measure them tonight for you.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

scoobyis2cool

posted on 27/9/04 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Haha, isn't it funny how these things have a tendecy to just drop off?!

That'd be great, as I say i need them to be at least 10cm long or they won't quite stick out far enough. If yours aren't quite long enough then if you could just tell me how they are made that would be really helpful. I assume there is space inside for the wiring?

I'll U2U you my address incase they are long enough

Thanks

Pete

Northy

posted on 27/9/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately they are only 70mm long. Are you sure you need them that long?

Here's a couple of pictures to show you what they are like. The indicator is a push fit into one end (wrap some tape round) and I also fitted a little grub screw to grip it. In the other end just tap a tread, and drill the centre out of a bolt. Thread the wires through the middle.

I'm sure TPG (member on here) said he used some flat bar bent over at the ends and radiused.

Let me know if you still want them. Rescued attachment Extension 1.jpg
Rescued attachment Extension 1.jpg

Graham

Northy

posted on 27/9/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
And another Rescued attachment Extension 2.jpg
Rescued attachment Extension 2.jpg

Graham

scoobyis2cool

posted on 28/9/04 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Graham those pics are great. Don't worry about sending them, unfortunately my indicators were a good 100mm inboard so I do need them longer. I'm sure I can manage to knock something up, better get cracking!

Cheers

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.