Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: CEC Engine Indy
Calzonii

posted on 9/4/13 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
CEC Engine Indy

Hi guys,

So ive decided to put a CEC in the Indy.

Are there any other main options that will keep cost as low as possible aside from zetec or duratec to be thinking about?

I dont mind spending more money to get a better more powerful engine (perhaps an S2000) as long as its not going to throw up any obscure problems with getting it to fit into the indy and therefore increasing cost?

And also with regard to getting a donor car wheres best to go? Do i need a full car or will parts alone be ok. Im just not sure what all i will need if im getting parts alone so some advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Cal

deezee

posted on 9/4/13 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
Lets play the Locost buillders game.
1 point for saying use a Zetec
1 more additional point for saying its the cheapest easiest choice
1 point for telling him to change his mind and go with a bike engine
5 extra points for offering him a drive in your BEC if your 300 miles away from him
2 points for pointing out his title say "Car Engined Car Engine Indy"
2 points for telling him to get a donor and use its engine as its the easiest IVA option
5 points for dismissing someone elses engine choice as being too hard to fit

nick205

posted on 9/4/13 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
A zetec mated to a type 9 gearbox gives good results for minimal outlay. It's a common install, so lots of knowledge and no hidden surprises.

No need for a single donor car, parts only is easier to source and select the right bits.

ali f27

posted on 9/4/13 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Like it deezee bet you are surprised how well that terrible engine go,s in your car i am surprised you dare admit to using an rs 2000 engine on here my friend rallys one can only get 270 bhp from it no reliability had to do some work on it after 6 years
DavidW

posted on 9/4/13 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
A zetec mated to a type 9 gearbox gives good results for minimal outlay. It's a common install, so lots of knowledge and no hidden surprises.

No need for a single donor car, parts only is easier to source and select the right bits.

I have to agree with this.

David

Calzonii

posted on 9/4/13 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
cheers nick

Calzonii

posted on 9/4/13 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
What 0-60 time is your 1.8 zetec David?

RK

posted on 9/4/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
As a user of a Nissan SR20DET and a former user of a CA18DET, it has been hundreds of hours of work, for a handful of hours of use. Just saying... Forget turbos unless you love complicating your life. Listen to these other guys here!
DRC INDY 7

posted on 10/4/13 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
As a user of a Nissan SR20DET and a former user of a CA18DET, it has been hundreds of hours of work, for a handful of hours of use. Just saying... Forget turbos unless you love complicating your life. Listen to these other guys here!

Lol nothing complicated about fitting a turbo engine, more so the sr20det engine and since completed2 years ago, i have done 6k in it

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

RK

posted on 11/4/13 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Your car looks fantastic, and you've done a very nice job, but I fear it is exceptional. I can only speak for myself, of course, but a novice builder is in for a huge amount of frustration with a turbo - it just adds unnecessary complexity and cost, to what ought to be a simple car. I am also slightly tired of hearing how I am the ONLY person who ever experienced major problems in building a car. Oddly, most people do not do it. Why do you suppose that might be? I would absolutely hate to see anybody experience anything close to what I have done. Anyways, the new guy will be happy to know you are around for inspiration and/or advice.
DavidW

posted on 11/4/13 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calzonii
What 0-60 time is your 1.8 zetec David?

Not sure yet as only passed IVA in Novemeber and the weather has been mostly rubbish since.

I had 146bhp on a rolling road and am guessing about 5 seconds.

Hopefully I'll get to time it at the weekend if the forecast is anything to go by.

David

DRC INDY 7

posted on 11/4/13 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
At york drag way last year i could only do 4.2sec 0/60 due to set up

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.