Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does continuous enforcement work?
morcus

posted on 2/12/15 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Does continuous enforcement work?

This might have weird mistakes as I'm using the phone so bare with me.

I've had 3 cars this calendar year, only one at a time, and both of the cars I don't have now have been used illegally for a considerable period of time by persons unknown after my ownership. The first one was written off, I then recieved 3 tickets for not paying the Dartford toll dated over the course of about a month. The second one I traded in to a major dealer who sent it straight to auction in July and has just recieved it's second speeding ticket, the first being in october.

Both times the cars were unregistered, untaxed and uninsured yet seemingly are being used for long periods of time with out anything being done about it. I've spoken to the police today about the second one but I don't think they'll actually prosecute the offender (that I think will be a low end trader who thinks it's ok to use an unregistered, untaxed car for personal use) and have to phone the speed enforcement unit tomorrow. As I told them in writing and on the phone the situation last time (and they sent me a letter dated on a sunday to say Id not sent the form, yet had the form and my covering letter when I called the wednesday I got the notice, I understand it could have arrived monday or tuesday but I dont think it did). I was more angry that they didn't seem to understand why I was complaining, they acknowledged they knew I wasn't the keeper at the time, so why can't they have a separate form for that rather than threaten me with £6000 worth of fines?

I thought continuous enforcement of tax and insurance was meant to stop this but it turns out you can just not register your car and not bother with tax or insurance.

Does anyone know where to direct written complaints to? The Avon and Somerset police website just gives an online form. I only have phone internet until the end of next week and don't want to leave things that long.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

joneh

posted on 2/12/15 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Daft question, why are they talking to you about it? Did you not send the V5 slip off to the DVLA? Think you can even do it online these days...

Edit - can see you sent the forms off now, trying to read on a phone is just as hard!

[Edited on 2/12/15 by joneh]

Brook_lands

posted on 2/12/15 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes of course it does. Circa 7 million cars bought and sold each year, lets assume half end up paying double tax for the month they are sold so that's about another £70 million tax.

Then there are all the automatic £80 computer generated bribes issued to basically law abiding citizens who forget to renew their tax disk or insurance in a timely manner. So that's circa 35 million vehicles, 2 transactions a year so 70 million opportunities. Let say 0.1% get it wrong that's another £56 million generated.

Oh yes, and those with criminal intent and were happy to break the law previously just carry on as usual - as you have discovered.

obfripper

posted on 2/12/15 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of traders have been taxing trade cars on the new keeper slip to avoid adding a keeper and then driving them, unaware that the vehicle will ping up on anpr as 'no registered keeper'. Even though it is 'on paper' taxed and insured, it is not legal to use under the current rules, also most trade policies do not cover a vehicle that is owned by, but not registered to the trader unless it is on trade plates.
Once it is in the trade, there is no requirement to inform of it's changing hands, so tracing who was using the car can be difficult.

Dave

nick205

posted on 3/12/15 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
With some experience of the DVLA, I find the best thing is to write to them and send it recorded post. If you do it that way you have traceable contact and history with them. It adds credibility to your story and is hard for them to ignore!

ianhurley20

posted on 3/12/15 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
This might have weird mistakes as I'm using the phone so bare with me.

I've had 3 cars this calendar year, only one at a time, and both of the cars I don't have now have been used illegally for a considerable period of time by persons unknown after my ownership. The first one was written off, I then recieved 3 tickets for not paying the Dartford toll dated over the course of about a month. The second one I traded in to a major dealer who sent it straight to auction in July and has just recieved it's second speeding ticket, the first being in october.

Both times the cars were unregistered, untaxed and uninsured yet seemingly are being used for long periods of time with out anything being done about it. I've spoken to the police today about the second one but I don't think they'll actually prosecute the offender (that I think will be a low end trader who thinks it's ok to use an unregistered, untaxed car for personal use) and have to phone the speed enforcement unit tomorrow. As I told them in writing and on the phone the situation last time (and they sent me a letter dated on a sunday to say Id not sent the form, yet had the form and my covering letter when I called the wednesday I got the notice, I understand it could have arrived monday or tuesday but I dont think it did). I was more angry that they didn't seem to understand why I was complaining, they acknowledged they knew I wasn't the keeper at the time, so why can't they have a separate form for that rather than threaten me with £6000 worth of fines?

I thought continuous enforcement of tax and insurance was meant to stop this but it turns out you can just not register your car and not bother with tax or insurance.

Does anyone know where to direct written complaints to? The Avon and Somerset police website just gives an online form. I only have phone internet until the end of next week and don't want to leave things that long.

If you have sent a form to DVLA saying you have disposed of the car the owner display shows a tag which says - has told DVLA no longer keeper - after a very short time for DVLA to put the marker on the record you shouldn't get anything - or is it that those sending the tickets are ignoring the marker, hmm or those giving the information are ignoring the marker? Either way if they came from Avon & Somerset Police, phone them and ask to make an official complaint is what I would do

morcus

posted on 3/12/15 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Avon and Somerset police told me last time they know I'm not the keeper.

Is there a way to check where an mot was done as the direct.gov tax checker shows the tax ended when I sold the car, but shows it had a new mot done the week after.

obfripper

posted on 3/12/15 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
If you do a mot history check, it gives the test number which should be ok to get a duplicate from any mot station with the reg number.
Mot history

Dave

morcus

posted on 3/12/15 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers. The mot history shows all the advisories from the one two months earlier have disappeared.

I've spoken to the police today who again confirmed they know I'm not the keeper and tried to blame the dvla, even though they told me that the dvla told them I wasn't the registered keeper and haven't been since July. The real police had been in touch with them about the matter so a least someone is doing something.

Aparantly I still need to fill out the form or I'm liable for prosecution of the crime of not filling out the form on time. As I'm away for work it means I've got to have it forwarded to me so I've got to payout for two lots of postage to prove my innocence for a crime the police know I didn't commit.

swanny

posted on 3/12/15 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
talking to the used dealer i bought my latest car he was moaning about having got a fine for a car he had sold where the new owner hadnt sent in the v5.
he now fills it in and sticks it in an envelope and posts it for them to avoid this. he suggested the car had not re registered the car as he knew that whilst he hadnt done that the car would show up as still taxed and he wouldnt have to pay it.

paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.