Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old Gits Driving Licence
v8kid

posted on 9/5/17 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Old Gits Driving Licence

Hi all,

Ok, Ok I know I can look this up on the DVLA website but I find the advice conflicting - after all I am an old git

My license expires Jan 2018 and I have C1, C1E, D1, and D1E with an end date of April 2020 when I will be 70.

However DVLA says I must renew these every 5 years after 45 years old and every year after 65 (2015 in my case).

How come that's not what my license says!!!!

What happens when I renew at age 68 do the barstewards surreptitiously try and impose new standards or what?

Although I vigorously defend my right to have a frontal temporal hemorrhage and plough into innocent bystanders without impediment by an overbearing nanny state I can see the point of the aforesaid innocent bystander who might possibly not be too enamored by the prospect However chaps my age are healthier than the previous generation and I think annual checks are beyond the pale hence my concerns for the also aforesaid nanny states motives. Think that covers it all.

Cheers all!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 9/5/17 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
5 year renewal is for lorries - which is Cat C, not C1 and C1E which is just medium sized vehicles.

Mistral Motorsport

v8kid

posted on 9/5/17 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
5 year renewal is for lorries - which is Cat C, not C1 and C1E which is just medium sized vehicles.

Ta for info however I posted this 'cos - from DVLA site links:-

"Renew your driving licence if you're 70 or over"

further down page

"You must renew your C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlements by post or at a Post Office."

which links to

"Driving licence renewal after 45: lorries, minibuses and buses
If you’re 45 or older, you’ll need to renew your licence to drive lorries, minibuses or buses every 5 years. When you reach 65, you’ll need to renew your licence every year."

Glad to hear its just for cat C but that's not where the DVLA links take you hence my finding the advice conflicting

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 9/5/17 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Do you use those categories?
I cant find the link but i'm sure I recall reading you need to renew if you use them professionally, but I may have mixed memories on this.
I suspect that if you don't renew you would simply loose the categories, not the whole license.

Mistral Motorsport

coozer

posted on 9/5/17 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I've got c+e and d+e and at 52 I have to have a d4 medical AND renew my
Icence every five years. Without the d4 the catorgeries lapse.. the licence used be 10 years but the rules have recently changed.... thank god for brexit....

We have a couple drivers over 70 still who have to have the d4 every year.

Thankfully your licence is now linked to your passport so getting a new photo every five minutes is not required..

We have some licence guidelines on the wall at the rdc so next time I'm down there I'll take a good look at it..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mash

posted on 9/5/17 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Hi all,

Ok, Ok I know I can look this up on the DVLA website but I find the advice conflicting - after all I am an old git

My license expires Jan 2018 and I have C1, C1E, D1, and D1E with an end date of April 2020 when I will be 70.

However DVLA says I must renew these every 5 years after 45 years old and every year after 65 (2015 in my case).

What happens when I renew at age 68 do the barstewards surreptitiously try and impose new standards or what?

Although I vigorously defend my right to have a frontal temporal hemorrhage and plough into innocent bystanders without impediment by an overbearing nanny state I can see the point of the aforesaid innocent bystander who might possibly not be too enamored by the prospect However chaps my age are healthier than the previous generation and I think annual checks are beyond the pale hence my concerns for the also aforesaid nanny states motives. Think that covers it all.

Cheers all!

Where did you get this info from Mate? I'm well ahead of you (still driving, still a firefighter and age 65 :cool and had no such instructions from DVLA, pls I've just checked their web site in panic, and it doesn't mention this at all. Only that i must renew at age 70......

v8kid

posted on 9/5/17 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Do you use those categories?
I cant find the link but i'm sure I recall reading you need to renew if you use them professionally, but I may have mixed memories on this.
I suspect that if you don't renew you would simply loose the categories, not the whole license.

Thanks I think I'll phone DVLA to clarify I can't recall any mention of professional use or otherwise but time to check .
Yes I use these categories, not professionally, I have a 9 seater minibus (4 grandchildren plus associate pals and bikes etc) that I tow a 2 tonne trailer ( cars and machinery hobby)with hence the concern.

Cheers!

v8kid

posted on 9/5/17 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
quote:
Hi all,

Cheers all!

Where did you get this info from Mate? I'm well ahead of you (still driving, still a firefighter and age 65 :cool and had no such instructions from DVLA, pls I've just checked their web site in panic, and it doesn't mention this at all. Only that i must renew at age 70......

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

from there link via "renew if 70 and over" to

www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

then at bottom of page it says -Renew a C1 or D1 entitlement

"You can’t use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post."
and this links to

www.gov.uk/driving-licence-renewal-after-45-lorry-minibus-bus

Which clearly states

If you’re 45 or older, you’ll need to renew your licence to drive lorries, minibuses or buses every 5 years. When you reach 65, you’ll need to renew your licence every year.

Mash

posted on 9/5/17 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

from there link via "renew if 70 and over" to

www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

then at bottom of page it says -Renew a C1 or D1 entitlement

"You can’t use this service to renew a C1 (medium-sized vehicles) or D1 (minibus) entitlement - you must do this by post."
and this links to

www.gov.uk/driving-licence-renewal-after-45-lorry-minibus-bus

Which clearly states

If you’re 45 or older, you’ll need to renew your licence to drive lorries, minibuses or buses every 5 years. When you reach 65, you’ll need to renew your licence every year.

Fair one Mate, but....I renewed my licence in 2011 when I was already 58, and wasn't required to do any of those things, despite the fact that I was driving minibuses and 9 seat land rovers whilst being paid. Plus it says on that last page,

"You’ll get 2 forms from DVLA 56 days before your driving licence runs out:

an ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’ (D47P)",

so I hope that it's just a glitch on their part. I'm still involved in the driving of minibuses whilst paid, and our MT Officer hasn't highlighted any potential problems for me (despite the fact that they regularly take the proverbial due to my age )

Even so, I think it may be worth a check to be safe

v8kid

posted on 9/5/17 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ta Mash

You've put my mind at rest I assumed DVLA site had to be wrong but there's that nagging doubt....

Cheers!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.